Unable to chec k I485 status

peddadaddy

To those who experienced similar situation ...

My niece got married and came to the US in May 2006. I485 was filed by husband. She was physically and mentally abused by husband for nearly 18 months and was forcibly kicked out of her apartment by him in October 2007. She took shelter at a relatives place with no money and no transportation. Couple of weeks later, he persuaded her to go with him to India and she went along hoping the problem could be resolved by his parents. She was prevented from seeing her own parents and was again forced out of their house by him. He refused to give her the documents, I485 Receipt#, EAD card, Advance Parole, Driver's license, Airline ticket everything that was required for her to travel back to the US and continue with her job here. He essentially abandoned her and escaped from India before police could track him. We are told he is in the US now but has not reported to his job.

How do we deal with this situation ?. Please help.

USCIS is insisting on the I485 Receipt# and the agency/lawyer who filed the petition is not responding to her requests on the phone from India for her to find out visa status.

Have her phone the USCIS and ask them what to do - have another lawyer contact her/their original lawyer and he will probably give some sort of response. Also, report the abuse to the USCIS - she can file for LPR without being with due to her abuse (i would assume they want some sort of proof). Sorry to hear this story.... sad really...

Or if she can con him into returning with all her info and taking her back and bringing her back into US - she can get all her info while he's @ work and then bail on him with all of her info and then go to police w/ everything you've said and get a restraining order on him... etc... good luck! keep us posted!

Hardball

You play hardball.

How - you inform his parents or relatives in India that you will play hardball if the husband withheld the required information and does not leave her alone.

They may tell you get lost, inform them that our relative [wife] is going to inform the embassy and the immigration - that she paid money to be brought to US and the marriage was a sham [not bonafide marriage] thus the husband has committed immigration fraud which will land the husband in trouble.

I believe you know husband information name, date of birth, his domicile in US that is enough to be submitted to embassy and immigration.