UK Transit VISA

AP but no EAD

I have both EAD & AP and I am using EAD to maintain status.
My wife has AP but no EAD. As she is not working I didn't apply for her EAD.
Is AP good enough to get UK Transit VISA ?

Transit Visa for Amsterdam

Hi All,
I will be travelling to India(Mumbai) via Amsterdam. My H1B experied on Nov 2003, I do have valid EAD and AP. Last year when I went to India while going there I was having valid H1b but while comming back to USA I used AP, and did not have any problem while entering USA. But this time I have to use AP for both ways, anyone knows that do I required transit visa for Amsterdam.

Any information will be helpful to me.

Thanks

Rajibda

Hi, my sister has a i-485 stamp on her passport, but she has not yet received her green card. will she still need a transit visa --flying thru UK..

Thank you.

Avoid British Airways??

Guys,

Just curious. Can't you avoid travelling via London? Avoid British Airways. I am in Phoenix, AZ. We have a direct flight from Phoenix to India on BA. But we flew to LA and took Cathay Pacific and there on Air India to land directly in Hyd. If you take BA, you have to go to either BOM or Delhi collect the baggage and then take another flight. This is just an example.

This way UK will atleast know that we have options.

Has the rules changed ?

SreeExpat said:
You don't require a Transit Visa as long as the VISA has not expired and the VISA expiration date covers the duration of your travel.

An excerpt from the BritainUSA.com

"Exemptions: You are exempt from this requirement if:
You hold a valid US/Canadian visa (example) and also hold a ticket to or from the US/Canada routed via the UK. This will include a period of 48 hours after the expiry of the US/Canadian visa for those leaving the US or Canada to allow for those who choose to leave at the very end of the validity of their visa. "

Also, visit this link

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/other_show.asp?SarticleType=25&Other_ID=668

bottom line, you don't require an Airside Transit VISA.

I have an valide H1B stamp on my passport. I would like to know if I require a Transit Visa. I was looking up the exceptions on britishusa.com. The excemption states that.

Exemptions: You are exempt from this requirement if:
You are travelling to the US/Canada and hold a valid US/Canadian visa (example) and also hold a ticket to the US/Canada routed via the UK.

You are in possession of an onward ticket for travel by air via the UK when LEAVING the US or Canada and your journey is within 6 months of your last date of entry to the US or Canada with a valid US/Canadian visa.

The first rule is for people going to US/Canada through UK and the second one is for people leaving US for a third country transiting through UK within 6 months of their entry to US.

The above exemptions does not cater to people, who fly from USA transiting through UK , whose journey is more than 6 months of the last date of entry entry to US. People like me on H1B who has not travelled for more than one year.

Does any one have any thoughts on this.

SreeExpat said:
You don't require a Transit Visa as long as the VISA has not expired and the VISA expiration date covers the duration of your travel.

An excerpt from the BritainUSA.com

"Exemptions: You are exempt from this requirement if:
You hold a valid US/Canadian visa (example) and also hold a ticket to or from the US/Canada routed via the UK. This will include a period of 48 hours after the expiry of the US/Canadian visa for those leaving the US or Canada to allow for those who choose to leave at the very end of the validity of their visa. "

Also, visit this link

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/other_show.asp?SarticleType=25&Other_ID=668

bottom line, you don't require an Airside Transit VISA.

Hi SreeExpat,
My 485 is approved and I am going for stamping next week. Also, I already booked tickets to india via UK. My travel is in last week of Nov. I do not expect my plastic GC before my travel date.

My question is, do I need transit visa?. or can I travel with the stamping only.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you have to. My sister was having same situation and I called the counsulate to find the answer. And they said, yes if you do not have the green card, then you do need the transit visa...thanks,

HEMLATA said:
Yes, you have to. My sister was having same situation and I called the counsulate to find the answer. And they said, yes if you do not have the green card, then you do need the transit visa...thanks,

I have my passport stamped (for i551, plastic gc) but the immigration agent forgot to cancel my visa (that is expiring in Sep 2005). Can i travel thru UK wihtout transit visa?

I think you can try.... don't show then the 551 stamp.... and you have valid visa.... but I will suggest.. if you have time get the transit visa..

Transit VISA question

My inlaws would be visiting me in April 05. On the way back (August 05), they would have to change airports in London. They will have a valid VISA for USA (probably 10yr multiple and they will leave before the I-94 expires). Do they need to apply for a transit visa ahead of time? I travelled thru BA about 5yrs ago and rules were different back then. I used to just walk out, goto immigration, get a 24hr visa stamp, board the bus, goto the second airport and board the plane. Is it true that they would have to check-out the luggage, clear customs and immigration in one airport, goto the second airport and check-in luggage, clear immigration and then board the plane in second airport? Can someone enlighten me on this.

Transit visa for Paris.

Question : Does it require to have a transit visa if someone is flying with layover at Paris. Our green card is under process and we have Advance Parole for reentry to USA.

Thanks in Advance,

Banglababu,
Yes you need Transit visa to paris. According to France embassy, if you don't have US Green card, H1-B Visa in your passport or canadian PR Card you have to have transit VISA.

FYI,
I have travelled on a H1B via LHR before, never had to get atransit visa. My advice is that when you go to india, apply ofr a Multiple entry 5 year UK visa, becoz then you never have to worry.

I called the lady at the British Embassy.. on the 1-900 number (which charges $2.50 a minute), and got the info I needed in 2 minutes.

If you have a valid H1 or H4 approval notice, you DO NOT need a transit visa, as long as you stay in the same airport, and for less than 24 hours. It does not matter if the visa is stamped in your passport or not, just so long as it is valid, and you take the approval notice with you.

If you are planning on changing airports, eg. Heathrow to Gatwick, or if you are going to stay for more than 24 hours at the airport, you DO need a visa.

We are leaving for India on Jun10. My wife has stamp of GC approval on her passport (I-551) but according to UK consulate website we still need a transit visa.
1) Does anyone have any experience with that?
2) If I mail passport today for transit visa, what are chances of getting it back on time for travel?

For those who have sent passport for transit visa please update the forum when you receive the visa/passport back, so that we have an idea as to how long it takes.

Thanks for your replies.

UK transit visa?

Hi All,
I am flying to India via London on British Airways. I have a 10 hour stopover in london. I have a H1B approval but no stamp on my passport yet.
My question is whether I need a UK transit visa or not?

Can anyone help.
Thanks a heap in advance !

Harkirat

I just read Shadytown's message and it pertains to my predicament but he says one does not need a transit visa if you have a h1 approval notice and he actually called the british embassy. Now I am confused. On what basis did you make this decision that I definitely need a transit visa? Can anyone tell me for sure?

I said definately because I'm in the same situation as yours..

Last year, I travelled through british and I was within my six year quoto of Hi-b..I called British and they said they need the transit visa..

This year, i'm travelling through Lufhthansa and it is my seventh year, and lufhthansa needs the transit visa..i personally went to thier consulate...

ANyway, getting the transit visa is very easy and I would recommend you to do to be on the safe side.

hema

Hi Hemlata,
Thanks for your help. I rang up the british embassy and they told me I did a trnasit visa since I did not have a valid visa stamped in my passport even though I have an H1B approval notice. The man it seems to me was being over cautious and not too sure whether I needed it or not. He actually left me dangling to check with his superiors (and I am paying 2.10$/min on the premium line too !) and came back and said in a cautious tone that yes I did need it.
Anyways I am going to avoid British airlines and fly Lufthansa instead. They seem to be too much trouble !

Harkirat