U.S PASSPORT Question

ApplyinMidwest

Registered Users (C)
In anticipation of my oath ceremony on February 2nd, I'm planning on applying for Expedited passport at post office the same day or day after. I'm planning on short business trip out of the U.S. on March 3rd. Do you guys think that I will get my passport before my departure date (March 3rd)?

Like always, I appreciate your advise.

Yes.

Before your oath, get your pictures taken, get the checks ready (one for the state department, one for the post office (you can use a credit card for the latter)) and fill in the form, but don't sign it. The easiest way to fill in the form is to go to http://travel.state.gov and fill it in electronically and then print it - it checks some of your entries and can prevent common errors.

Again, before your oath, find a post office that accepts passport applications (http://www.usps.com). Go talk to them to make sure you are not forgetting anything. If your oath is late in the day, consider checking to see if there is a post office at your local airport - they may have extended hours (the post office at DFW, for example, accepts passports until the early evening).

Then, once you take the oath, stop and copy your naturalization certificate and then go directly to the post office and stand in line.

If you submit it expedited, you should get it back in 10 days to 2 weeks. The passport office demanded additional information for my daughters PP (our marriage certificate - I'm not sure why) and we still got the passport in well less than 3 weeks. Both my wife and I got less than 2 week turn around.

Flydog, Do you need to show proof of air reservation in order to obtain the passport in the 2 weeks timeframe. Thanks in advance.

medievalKnight said:
Flydog, Do you need to show proof of air reservation in order to obtain the passport in the 2 weeks timeframe. Thanks in advance.
I didn't, neither did my wife or child (all very separate applications).

I believe you only need to show proof if you are trying to get same or next day expediting information at a regional passport agency.

We did put a "travel date" on the form that was in the 6 weeks (?) that they use as a cut-off. Only one of us actually traveled on that date. However, in each case, it was conceivable that we might have traveled on that date.

Good luck

Flydog is correct. You only need to show proof of travel within the next 14 days if you want the same day or next day passport. That can only be done at a passport agency, not at the Post Office. If have a passport agency nearby and you're traveling within the next 14 days, you should do it, because they charge you the same amount for two weeks or same day. At least for the same you get all you documents back and a lot can happen in 14 days.

Hey NewlyMinted,

If you are going to the post office on Saturday, you have to make an appointment. And for the speedy passport they do have options for (3-5 days, one week to two) only you have to pay more.

If you are planning to go any foregin counrty make sure you do not need visa for that country in order to go there.

You have to get that one prior to your tirp.

Good luck with your Oath ceremony..!

Actually the post office appointments policy seems to vary from location to location. My local office only handles passport applications by appointment Mon thru Fri. The larger office in Annapolis encourages walk-ins any weekday and Saturday mornings.

You might wish to check this out in advance.

Yes, the local Post Offices seems to lack consistency. That's why I said to stop by and make sure you understand what they want from you.

One other thing that I found. I live/work near two post offices. One insists that if you pay the State dept. expediting fee you must send your application by Express Mail (14-15$ each way). The other doesn't.

Express mail buys you about 2-4 days less overall (door to door) processing time. I don't think it's worth the money. Ask about their local policies and consider another one if they want you to spend that extra $30.