U.s Citizenship for just approved ASylee

wantmygcnow

Volunteer Moderator
Hello, I was reading about this subject on the other forum and this is what the law says:

Residence and Physical Presence

An applicant is eligible to file for U.S Citizenship if, immediately preceding the filing of the application, he or she:

has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (see preceding section);
has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;
has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)
has resided within a state or district for at least three months

I called BCIS and per them ASYLEE who have their green card can apply for U.S Citizenship and don't have to wait for 4 years. GC proves their admittance as PR and Asylee status proves their lawful permanent residency status.

I dont know if its true. CAn anyone verify? This is exciting actually.

This is the defintion on USCIS website:

Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR): A person who is here permanently and qualifies as a refugee, asylee, or immigrant, or who has been granted amnesty other than suspension of deportation. In short, an alien who has been lawfully afforded the privilege of residing permanently in the US.

I hope it is true

However, I'm puzzled why do you ask can anyone verify it if you said you called BCIS yourself?

Well as you know PPL working at BCIS dont know crap. The more people call the more educated we will be..still puzzled??????????!! and verification means to check if its really true!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very interesting topic. Does anybody know if any asylee applied for citizenship prior to be "eligible" after 4 years? What will happen if you apply?? They can refuse you, right? What if they don't??

Let's flood them with the phone calls with this question. If they say it is true, then I guess just apply and pray that they will accept application ... what are you thoughts guys?? Any consequences if you apply? :confused:

Waste of money?

nofreedom said:
Let's flood them with the phone calls with this question. If they say it is true, then I guess just apply and pray that they will accept application ... what are you thoughts guys?? Any consequences if you apply? :confused:

wantmygcnow said:
This is the defintion on USCIS website:

Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR): A person who is here permanently and qualifies as a refugee, asylee, or immigrant, or who has been granted amnesty other than suspension of deportation. In short, an alien who has been lawfully afforded the privilege of residing permanently in the US.

Where is this on USCIS?

I found following on USCIS:

Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) - Any person not a citizen of the United States who is residing the in the U.S. under legally recognized and lawfully recorded permanent residence as an immigrant. Also known as "Permanent Resident Alien," "Resident Alien Permit Holder," and "Green Card Holder."

http://uscis.gov/graphics/glossary2.htm#L

This whole thread is crazy. This is the link to an article written by an immigration expert: http://www.ailf.org/ipc/policy_reports_2003_LivesInLimbo.asp

At the very beginning it says that "[A]sylees must wait at least 12 years to become permanent residents – and 4 more years to become U.S. citizens."

Do you think if the law had any doubt at all on this issue, people at the AILA/AIFA would not have tried to take advantage of it???

Just do not think we are so smart as capable of reinventing the long-established law.

Those who have obsession with this matter are well-advised to take a vacation somewhere in the Caribbean. Or perhaps join the military and become immediately eligible for naturalization.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is crazy and it is not that important. however, requirement is 5 years of permanent residency. It does not say anything for asylees or refugees. This might be one of those "under the table" policies.

And there is no obsession with this. this board is to disscuss all kinds of issues. While we are wating, why not learn more about immigration policies.

just my few cents.

My full concurrence. This whole idea is frankly insane and a waste of time. It takes a very overactive imagination to even conjure that up.

Good luck people and take care.

jw1951 said:
This whole thread is crazy. This is the link to an article written by an immigration expert: http://www.ailf.org/ipc/policy_reports_2003_LivesInLimbo.asp

At the very beginning it says that "[A]sylees must wait at least 12 years to become permanent residents – and 4 more years to become U.S. citizens."

Do you think if the law had any doubt at all on this issue, people at the AILA/AIFA would not have tried to take advantage of it???

Just do not think we are so smart as capable of reinventing the long-established law.

Those who have obsession with this matter are well-advised to take a vacation somewhere in the Caribbean. Or perhaps join the military and become immediately eligible for naturalization.

New old Q

Hi there,

I am wondering if you have to wait 8-10 years to get a Green card then you are permanently live in the country for more than 5 years having the asylee status.

My question is it any flaws in law that will allow you to apply for Citizenship after 5 years since you've been granted asylee status and not to wait for GC.

Is it anybody has the expert answer? Is it any lawyer can help or the only thing we have to wait to get the GC first??? :mad:

Thank you.

NY2000 said:
Hi there,

I am wondering if you have to wait 8-10 years to get a Green card then you are permanently live in the country for more than 5 years having the asylee status.

My question is it any flaws in law that will allow you to apply for Citizenship after 5 years since you've been granted asylee status and not to wait for GC.

Is it anybody has the expert answer? Is it any lawyer can help or the only thing we have to wait to get the GC first??? :mad:

Thank you.

As we discussed before, it is our money and our time, so whoever wants to try, try it. It might work or they will reject your case. I'm really not sure regarding this. Maybe call UCSIS again to confirm? But I would agree with Gilbert on this.