Typo on N400 after citizenship, should I correct?

maisflocon

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I got my US citizenship late last year, but recently when I went back and looked at the N400 I submitted, I notice there was an error on the dates for two of the contract work I listed in the employment history. For example, instead of 2007, I had it down as 2006 for one of the jobs. Should I make an INFOPASS appointment with the immigration office to change this?

Aside from wanting things to be perfect, I will be filing for my wife's I-130 and I want the info on my G-325 to be correct and in accordance with what's on N-400.

Please advice if such change is necessary and if failure to make such change can result in denaturalization later? (NOTE: the job listed was side work I took on so I am thinking it should have no bearing in the decision making process for my case)

Hi all,

I got my US citizenship late last year, but recently when I went back and looked at the N400 I submitted, I notice there was an error on the dates for two of the contract work I listed in the employment history. For example, instead of 2007, I had it down as 2006 for one of the jobs. Should I make an INFOPASS appointment with the immigration office to change this?

Aside from wanting things to be perfect, I will be filing for my wife's I-130 and I want the info on my G-325 to be correct and in accordance with what's on N-400.

Please advice if such change is necessary and if failure to make such change can result in denaturalization later? (NOTE: the job listed was side work I took on so I am thinking it should have no bearing in the decision making process for my case)

Explain it at the interview. Anyway, they have copies of your W-2's. Nothing to worry about.- :cool:

Don't worry about it. You have a greater chance of being struck by lightning twice than being denaturalized for such a trivial detail that has nothing to do with your moral character or residence requirements (assuming that the error is not hiding a long period of unemployment).

Thank you Jackolantern. No it doesn't hide any unemployment, I usually work on a few jobs at a time. BTW, is unemployment a problem with citizenship application?

Thank you Jackolantern. No it doesn't hide any unemployment, I usually work on a few jobs at a time. BTW, is unemployment a problem with citizenship application?
Very long unemployment raises the suspicion of having worked for cash without paying taxes, or making money from illegal activities. So if you have very long unemployment, they will normally expect you to show how you got financial support during that time, whether it was your savings, or your spouse was supporting you, disability checks, etc.

If the wrong date listed for that job had the effect of hiding a long period of unemployment, the government could make the argument that the wrong date was a cover-up for your unemployment, which allowed you to improperly naturalize because the result of the cover-up was that the interviewer didn't ask about your financial situation during that time. But from your explanation, you had no long breaks in employment whether or not that job is included, so they can't make that argument. And that argument is a stretch of the imagination anyway.