Two year rule and exceptions

jayan77

Dear all,
i entered US with one year visa for my postdoc (after PhD) position in medical school. The visa given was for one year. After 5 months i couldnot continue and i lost my job. I could not get into a new job as visa ristricted me to do research only in particular dept. (Subject/field code: 60.0234) and international student office didnot approve this.

In my visa, they have mentioned two year rule does apply to me. But since my programme ended abruptly within 6 months, am i eligible to re-enter US with fresh VISA/DS-2019?

Sincerely,
Jayan.

The 2-year rule still applies; however, you can apply for another J1 or any visas other than H/L/K. The 2-year rule is not cumulative, so, at the end, you just have to be back in your home country for two years regardless of how many J1 visas you have.

Thanks for the information.
But the international student office here in MI says that once i am out of US, i cannot enter US in any category of visa for the next two years...will the immigration dept can be contacted in this regard?

Regards,
Jayan.

Thanks for the information.
But the international student office here in MI says that once i am out of US, i cannot enter US in any category of visa for the next two years...will the immigration dept can be contacted in this regard?

Regards,
Jayan.

I have held 3 J1 visas, all with 2-year rule. I did not have any problems entering the US as B1/B2 (tourist) while the 2-year rule was still in effect.
Even with the 2-year rule, you can still get other types of visa except H/L/K. The caveat is that you cannot change the status from within the US (as indicated on the back of the DS-2019). You have to exit, then enter again.

The formal details of the 2-year rule is on the back of your DS-2019 and http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1267.html#15. If you want more info, you can try contacting the Dept of State. Keep in mind, not a lot of people know about the details of J1 visa.

Last edited by a moderator: