Two interview notices anyone?

livingit

Registered Users (C)
I posted this in another thread on "canceled interviews" but perhaps its worth asking in its own thread.

I did my fingerprinting in mid April 2008. Sometime in mid May, I received not one but two interview notices. They are for the same date and time in late July, at the same office. The only difference between the two notices is the "notice date", one is May 16, the other is May 17 and they were mailed on different dates.

Anyone experience something similar?

And yesterday I received a "descheduling" notice, even though there is still more than a month to the interview.

There have been other people who got the cancellation notices. Most of them do get another IV letter sooner than later.

Two notices anyone?

Hi - Yes, I know about other people receiving cancellation notices. However, I am asking whether anyone has ever received two notices for the same interview date and time.

Also, does anyone else have an interview appointment for July 25th in Miami, my original interview date?

On the side: One of my friends has came up with the theory that they since they sent me two interview notices, they may have accidentally set up a duplicate appointment and the cancellation is for only one of them. Yes, its very optimistic thinking. As suggested by others, I will try to meet an IO in person or just go for the originally scheduled appointment and see what happens.

Regards.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I received two IL within days of each other for July 16th in Miami and then last week I received a descheduling letter. It seems like a reasonable explanation that the cancellation letter was for one, not both of the letters sent. Since there really is nothing to lose, I still intend to go to the scheduled interview.

Hi - Glad to compare notes. Could you post an update after the 16th? I hope things work out.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I received two IL within days of each other for July 16th in Miami and then last week I received a descheduling letter. It seems like a reasonable explanation that the cancellation letter was for one, not both of the letters sent. Since there really is nothing to lose, I still intend to go to the scheduled interview.

I just got a letter rescheduling for 10:30 am on Sept. 12th. Now I'm not sure if I should go down there on July 16th anymore.

There goes my hopes for voting this year.

Hi -

That sucks big time. Two more months... Sigh!

At this point, it may make sense to visit the Miami office and talk to an IO. The online system says an appointment is not required, just go in the morning. I would rather get a clarification now than wait and twiddle my thumbs. Confirmed bad news is better than uncertainty.

My rescheduling letter is probably in the mail too, I guess I am looking at late September now. :mad:

Please let me know if you do visit the office and hear anything from the IO. I will do the same as soon as I get the letter.

I would still go to the original interview date but I start a new job on the 14th (Monday) and hesitate to ask for the time off to go, especially since there is a chance at it being a waste of time.

Anyone know when is the next miami oath date? Heard it was some time in September so there might still be some hope.

Miami filers - check the address where you will have your citizenship interview. I heard from a friend that all naturalization interviews are now scheduled at "the naturalization center", located in Miami downtown at 77 5th St SE. They were previously held at the 7880 Biscayne Blvd NW address in north Miami, which is still listed as the main DO address on the USCIS web site.

They was also a fire at the Customer Service Center location and that office has moved to the DO address at 7880 Biscayne. (Google "USCIS miami fire" but you just get a two line notice, nothing else.)

Not sure if the above two are related in any way, but one or both could explain why some interviews have been rescheduled.

What ever the reason, I agree it sucks!

I received a rescheduling letter for my citizenship interview today. My original interview date was August 28, it is now Sept. 11. I never received a cancellation notice for my original date (August 28th), so I am not sure what to expect.

As Triple Citizen suggested, I am planning to go on my original date. Any feedback will be appreciated? I am also planning to call IO to see if they can sort this for me.... (which is highly doubtful).

I received a rescheduling letter for my citizenship interview today. My original interview date was August 28, it is now Sept. 11. I never received a cancellation notice for my original date (August 28th), so I am not sure what to expect.

As Triple Citizen suggested, I am planning to go on my original date. Any feedback will be appreciated? I am also planning to call IO to see if they can sort this for me.... (which is highly doubtful).

Posted this as a seprate thread also. May be one of you can shed some light.

I have received my Interview document checklist before getting the interview letter. Is this normal? What to make of it?

Thanks.

I went for my originally scheduled appointment but it didn't work. Ended up being a big waste of time and money.

The details posted above by coredump are correct. My original appointment was at the 7880 Biscayne Blvd office. Security at the gate noticed that the appointment was for a citizenship interview and did not let me through because they no longer handle these at this office. An officer in the customer service center, which is next door, suggested I go to the citizenship center (77 5th St office) about 8 miles away in downtown. He sounded positive and said they would look at my case if they had my file. But at the center, they wouldn't let me in either. The guards told me that a lot of people had been rescheduled from the other office. They had no interest in listening to my case, the attitude was more of "shit happens .. letters are lost in the mail .. wait for letter" and so on.... The only way to get in was to fill an info pass form and talk to the information cell. But this was a Friday and they have stopped doing info-passes on Friday. The infopass website still says M-F but not really ... So no luck, had to go home. On Monday, I had to be in the area and I decided to take a chance and try an info pass again. After waiting for about an hr, I got to talk to the lady in charge. She was in a pretty bad mood because their computers were acting up and probably because the lady ahead of me had successfully aggravated her further. It took her (the computer actually) about 15 minutes to look up my records and confirm that the appointment had been rescheduled. She didn't know why I had received two interview letters. There was no way to do an interview on the same day. The center is very busy, they probably handle 300+ people a day, so its understandable that they won't take people on a walk-in basis.

If you are in a small DO, your luck may be different and it doesn't hurt to try. There was a guy in the queue with me who had also been rescheduled but had not received a new date. Don't know what happened to him but I doubt he had any luck. There was a lady who passed her interview successfully 4 months ago but no oath yet. And there was a guy who had applied in 2006 and had yet to receive an interview letter. The only people they seemed ok with walk-ins were those who had been asked to come back with additional papers.

Honestly, just be thankful that your delay is only two weeks and not more. This is a government office you are dealing with with all the bureaucracy that comes with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks livingit. My DO is Minneapolis-St. Paul. My only concern is that I have not received a cancellation notice for my original date. The new interview letter does not talk about cancellation of original date either. I just would like to confirm my interview date and was wondering what would be the best way to do so ... info-pass or a call to 1800 number?

For some reason the USCIS sends out two letters - one to let you know that your interview has been canceled and another to let you know the new date. The second letter does not mention anything about cancellations or previous letters so what you have is "normal". You may still get the cancellation letter but its safe to assume that your interview has been postponed. If you really want to reconfirm it and the two weeks is going to make a difference, do an info-pass, otherwise just chill and go on the new date. I have personally yet to get anything useful from the 800 number - the standard response is "details are not available". If you have better luck - well and good.

One observation that my trip to the Miami USCIS reinforced is that the percentage of people you see on this forum is about 0.0001 % of those who apply for naturalization each year. Its possible that people who are on this forum worry too much about every theoretical possibility -- sometimes with good reason - this citizenship thingy is important to us, sometimes because you are being careful and sometimes because its in our nature to worry too much which is why we landed up here in the first place. I had a decent amount of time to observe people who showed up at the two Miami offices. Most of them were very informally dressed, had family members with them (I was business casual) and did not have more than the 3-4 things that USCIS asks you to get (I had a hefty bag in case they agreed to the interview and I had to prove some arcane point). For many of the Spanish speaking immigrants (this is Miami), the real worries were the Civics and English tests. You could make out from the accents that even the guards and USCIS officers were native Spanish speakers, so heck, people were speaking to them in Spanish not English.

I was quite stressed out this time, hopefully after this experience, I will be more relaxed when I go for the rescheduled interview in September.

livingit- thanks for the detailed response. I have scheduled an info pass. I called the 1800 number and the IIO told me to contact the local DO as my case now resides outside their jurisdiction and there is very little they can do.

IIO also told me that the fact I received two ILs means that my case file has been transferred over to DO and that I should try going in on my original date to see if they can interview me.

I will have more once I come back from my info pass visit.

Update... I had an infopass appointment at my local DO. I had received two interview notices and no cancellation notice for the first interview letter.

The IO was a very nice lady and she told me to show up at my initial date (08/28/08) as oppose to the date suggested by second interview notice (09/11/08). She mentioned that if I do not show on 08/28, USCIS my mark my application as a "No Show".

I am, therefore, planning to go for my interview on 08/28.

I just came back from my local DO as my initial interview date was today (08/28/08). Although this date was rescheduled by another IL that I received and the new date given to me was 09/11/08.

As I mentioned in my earlier posting, USCIS officer during my infopass session suggested to show up on 08/28/08, so I did today. After two hour wait at the local DO today, I was told that my interview date was indeed 09/11/08, however, the lady at the desk offered me an earlier date of 09/04/08, which I accepted.

So as of today, my interview date is 09/04/08.