Tubercular skin test

GraceCard

Registered Users (C)
We got an RFE for my wife asking her to do Tubercular skin test. We can not do that now becuase she is pregnant. INS surgeon suggested that he will give a form saying that she can not take the test now beacuse of pregnency. I asked attorney, who said INS may send her case to local INS office for further interview.

Any one had similar experience? If so, can you write your experience please. How long will take to send case to local INS and how long to get interview?

Please share your experiences.

GraceCard said:
We got an RFE for my wife asking her to do Tubercular skin test. We can not do that now becuase she is pregnant. INS surgeon suggested that he will give a form saying that she can not take the test now beacuse of pregnency. I asked attorney, who said INS may send her case to local INS office for further interview.

Any one had similar experience? If so, can you write your experience please. How long will take to send case to local INS and how long to get interview?

Please share your experiences.

Do not worry too much. I had a same experience. Our cases were approved without REF and tranfer. If INS surgeon gives the form stating the reasons for not taking skin test. You should be fine. Good luck!

I don't see why not taking a TB skin test due to pregnancy would invoke a transfer for interview. Typically, cases are transferred for interview for reasons like random check, seeing if a new marriage is bona fide, previous arrests/convictions, serious status questions. I don't know what knowledge an interview would serve except to prove your wife is pregnant - but knowing how long interviews take to schedule you'll probably have your child by then! A doctor's note explaining the circumstance should be sufficient. Was there any reason a TB skin test was not conducted at the time of your initial 485 filing? It's standard INS doctor procedure.

Try do do a search of this forum looking for 'mantoux'. There was a long thread on the subject including the issue of x-ray vs skin test.

The title of the thread was:
VERY Urgent...x-ray cannot be done as pregnant,Skin test(Monto Test/Montoux Test). ( 1 2 )

From what I know, its safe to to skin test during pregnancy, but not X-Ray.
Most of the times the skin test comes +ve and then you have to go to X-Ray. Who is derivative here ? If its your wife, that should not be any worry at all. In either case, this will or can not be a reason for transfer. You definitely have a bad lawyer.

In my case, I was primary and I was pregnant at that time of applying for 485 (2.5 yrs back). So now I was expecting a medical RFE and got one recently for Tuberculin test.

Did you not do skin test or X-Ray while applying for 485 for her? If yes, you could probably send same reports ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mango_pickle,

Thank you for your response, This is for my wife who is 6 months pregnant now, we did take skin test which is +ve and she cannot take an X-ray becuase of pregnancy.

Is your case similar?, We sent the forms given by doctor to attorney to reply to the RFE. All other tests we took were -ve.

I hope things will be better but worst case I should expect a transfer. Again thank you very much for your +ve response.

GC
---------------
WAC02-128-53xxx

Hi Wik,

We initially did all the tests except some, becuase we were trying for pregnancy since long. That time we were through a course of medicine which prevented us from doing all these tests. Hope things go smooth..

Thanks for your support and timely reply.
GC

consider getting the x-ray

> This is for my wife who is 6 months pregnant now, we did take
> skin test which is +ve and she cannot take an X-ray becuase
> of pregnancy.

I pointed this out before.
The radiation dose from a conventional chest x-ray is less than 1/10th of the dose she would receive from a flight from NY to LA.

Your wife is in the third trimester of pregnancy, the vulnerability of the baby to radiation at this point is not much different from a newborn. (very low).

If you would consider flying from NY to LA with her, you might want to consider having the x-ray done.

(This is not medical advice, just my informed opinion. Talk to your physician in all matters regarding your health)

GRaceCard,

You have nothing to worry! Just reply to the RFE the way doctor says. Doc will put a note sayin she is pregnant. Everything will be ok.