TSC EB3/India I-485 approved - a 5 yr ordeal ends..

VSV

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

Good mornin\'! I had to wait for almost 5 yrs (entire GC process) to be able to say "I am a permanent resident". My spouse\'s case is still pending. My case was approved on 2/26 even though I heard the mesg on 2/28. I recd the courtesy copy and my lawyer got the original as well. I will heave a bigger sigh of relief once my spouse\'s case is cleared as well.

Here are the details. During this 5-yr ordeal, we\'ve gone thru some real challenges. My company made me sign a doc saying I will reimburse them of the GC expenses if I leave them before the 1 yr period after I get my GC. They probably thought my case was a walk in the park. I\'ve ended up with the same bozos for 7 yrs. Kinda long for a contracting company. They started my paperwork with reluctance in Sept \'96 and finally filed for labor in 4/97 convincing me that EB3 was safe even though I have a Masters degree in Comp Engg (a trademark for contracting dogs). My labor got cleared sometime around Oct-Nov 97 and they filed for I-140 in 1/98 which got cleared in 4/98. I waited till 7/99 to file our 485s since the dates retrogressed. Meanwhile, I was in a dilemma \'cos I was getting offers from the client and I hesitated \'cos I didn\'t want to start from scratch and I underestimated the processing time of TSC. Man, lil\' did I know about the waitin\' time in store for me!

Finally, we filed our 485s in 8/99, got our 1st FPs in 11/99 (thought that was a good sign:-( not realizing that they had just started the electronic FP scheduling process which randomly threw FP notices out!). The dates went back again in early 2000. Our papers got shelved. I had been under the impression that once u file 485 u r fine. Nope! They refused to pick up the papers even though I contacted the senator\'s office. 2001 rolls around and we\'re still waiting in the wings. Meanwhile I had become a veteran on immigration.com and isn.org had started (winning some laurels huh!) racking up posts after posts and watching my batch mates if u will bid adieu. Since I kept the pressure I guess, they said oh your FPs have expired. Even though we\'re scheduled for 6/2001 we got the FPs done in 5/2001 hoping that would trigger an approval. People who filed eons later were celebrating and the INS refused to budge saying they had to look on a case-by-case basis. My foot!

The congressman\'s office didn\'t prove useful either. The rep was more eager to hang up the phone than badger the INS for approval. I have seen reps being real useful in other states where they even dug up cases which had been archived somewhere. I kept gett\'n offers elsewhere, but I couldn\'t take it. Then the 180 days memo came about although it was just a memo and NOT a official regulation. I know a lot of folks switched jobs w/o any problems. Meanwhile, it was time for our 3rd EAD/AP. I had applied sometime in June 2001. I got a rejection notice for my EAD and it said explicitly that the reason was that my underlying 485 petition had been approved. I was ecstatic! However,the TSC mesg wouldn\'t change to reflect what that doc said even after a week had elapsed and to top it we got our EADs in the mail. Finally after a lot of diggin\' in and faxing the doc to TSC (that officer\'s attn.), as annoying and frustrating as it was, they said it was just a snafu. Man, I was pissed!

If I had the resources, I wouldn\'t hesitate to sue the INS. To continue, my congressman\'s office was asking me to exercise patience. I guess 5 yrs of untold misery didn\'t suffice! If u think we\'re done, we got an RFE in Dec 2001 to prolong the trials and tribulations. They had asked for my employment letter and I-864 (affidavit of support for a family-based case!). I said how inefficient can the INS be. I sent in the affidavit even though my lawyer advised me not to. Meanwhile, the job scene started to look shaky all of a sudden and boy was I gett\'n ancy.

Posting continues..

They recd the RFE on 1/7/02 per the AVM. Feb is almost over (month and a half since RFE submission) and I am like what the hell are these people waiting for? May be trying to create a record with our cases in terms of processing time? On Feb 26th 2002, I picked up the phone as always and I was about to hang up sick and tired of the same old freakin\' mesg, however, I heard the magic words "this case is approved". I checked the AVM twice or thrice and waited till I recd the courtesy copy to avoid celebrating way ahead.. I am anxiously waitin\' for my spouse\'s approval.

I have learned a lot in the last 5 yrs and I\'ve loved being able to contribute to the ISN (vybhav) and immigrationportal.com (VSV). Sharing info and misery has been the only solace in this 5-yr ordeal.

Questions-> 1. Can we go for visa stamping with courtesy copies?
2. How many days is it taking typically (i know ours is atypical!) for spouse approvals?

I will throw in details about our stamping once my spouse\'s comes thru as well. Take care and have fun!

-VSV

TSC-EB3-India;PD-4/18/97;RD-8/25/99;ND-9/14/99;1st FP-11/10/99 approved 1/00;2nd FP-5/9/01 approved 5/14/01;3rd AP approved on 8/22 and EAD on 9/1/01 9/26 for spouse, recd cards 10/03/01;AD-02/26/2002; waiting for my spouse\'s approval

Congrats!

Two and half yrs for I-485. I am wondering the officer who handles your case enjoys other people\'s suffering. Glad it is over, hope your spouse get it done soon.

Congratulations

Yes. You can get stamped using Courtesy copy. We did it yesterday. Your spouse case should be approved very soon (since mine and my wifes case was approved the same day. In my friends case, he got approved on 25th Feb, but his wife\'s and daugters case was approved on 27th Feb).

No Title

VSV - I am also in the same situation. My case was approved 2/26 and spouse case is pending. My lawyer said we can use the courtesy copy for stamping. Looked at some old messages in this board where spouse cases were approved later ranging from a week to 3 months. I am planning to go ahead with my stamping.

Congrats

Congratulations and Good Luck. My case is very similar to yours. My PD was 05/97 and I got it approved 01/02, stamped PP on 02/02 and in fact received my Plastic Card. It all ended so quickly after a long frustating and marathon wait.

No Title

Congratulations! It really was a long journey. I can understand the feelings that you\'ve gone through, but thank God it\'s all over now. Enjoy your freedom and hope your wife will get her approval soon.

Congratulations !

VSV, read about your long journey for the GC. Felt good that this has finally ended for you, Congratulations and all the best !

Well i thought my 4 year wait

was loooong ... but yours was frustrating . I hear you , feel sorry for you . Good luck with your GC .