Trying to get FLAG removed from SEVIS record...

sirrob

Hey there,

so i was a student at a university A, i then transferred from that university to another university B. Family problems, monetary issues forced me to leave university B and go back to my country of residence. While here i enrolled in another american university, which had recently opened an international campus of theirs in the same city.

In February of this year it was announced that the campus would close down and that if we wanted to continue our education all the students would need to transfer to the main campus, I went for my visa interview and was approved! But during the interview the officer informed me that i had a FLAG placed on my SEVIS record and that i would need to get that taken care of. Also she mentioned that at the port of entry they might ask me about the flag and that i would need to explain to them the situation that occured while enrolled at University B.

I have since contacted the international student office of University B and asked them to get the flag removed. They have communicated to me that they have done everything required for the Flag to be removed, but the status of the request is still ' pending' and SEVIS is telling them that they are working on getting the flag removed.

I am scheduled to travel to america on my student visa on the 20th, Monday, and i was wondering what my options are! As mentioned earlier, i have already gotten the student visa stamped and printed in my passport and just want to know what to expect at the port of entry due to my situation. Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated.

P.S: Since leaving university B, i have traveled back to america three times on my B1/B2 visa without any problems.

Thanks.

It's hard to predict what will happen at the POE. However, you might prepare for a trip to secondary inspection. In addition to having an answer for the FLAG due to University B, ask the International Office at University B to send you something in writing to explain the flag situation. Print a copy or the SEVIS "pending" report out might also help since it indicates that you are trying to resolve the issue before you fly to the US.

Finally, make sure you have the phone number of the International Office handy, just in case you need it. If you are coming in at night, ask your International Office what they could do in the event that you are detained. There is no guarantee that you will even be allowed to make a call, but I think you should have that information handy just in case.

As usual, bring all your supporting documents with you. The fact that the embassy gives you a visa, KNOWING there is a flag is encouraging because obviously, the embassy thinks you met all the requirement to be issued a visa, even with the flag. Good luck!