• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump attacks Diversity Visa program

rafi-cairo

Registered Users (C)
Donald.png

He continues to attack it in a string of tweets..... I wonder if that would have an effect on the discussions for a new immigration system...

It is the beginning of the end for the DV-Program as it exists at the moment. Very sad.
Not good for DV Green Card holders in the US neither.

I don't think so, as long as they follow the rules and not put themselves in a situation where someone's discretion is the deciding factor. I'd be careful about long or repeated absences out of the country.

Well, incidentally the NY terrorist came into the USA on the diversity visa program aka the green card lottery.

The president can't abolish the DV program with a stroke of the pen, it has to be passed by the congress first.

It is the beginning of the end for the DV-Program as it exists at the moment. Very sad.

The program will come to an end sooner or later. The process to take it down will take sometime but this will definitely put the program into the spotlight. I'm also sure that DV 2019 will have heavier background checks.

Due to the recent attack in New York.. Trump just announced that they will be looking into ending the DV lottery program - because the attacker got here through this program..

I am hoping that he doesn't cancel it completely and just put Uzbekistan under the list of countries that aren't eligible.

Someone always has to ruin it for everyone.. However it's not something that will happen in a week or two but still it still sucks.

They’ve been looking at ending this program for years, on a bipartisan basis. It will happen at some stage.

Trump does not decide who is and isn’t eligible for DV. He can try add Uzbekistan to his list of banned countries, I suppose. He hasn’t exactly had startling success with what he’s tried to do on immigration so far.

This is silly. Why didn't they bar students from entering the US after 9/11 considering most of the terrorists were on F1 Visa? Out of more than one million immigrants who benefitted from the lottery program how many of them were terrorists? 1? Hundreds times more Americans were killed by criminals and gang members present in the states thanks to a family-based Visa than the 8 people cowardly murdered by this DV beneficiary.

Last edited:
This is silly.

Have you been following Trump’s tweets since he became president?
I mean.... this shouldn’t be surprising. I don’t disagree with your sentiment of course.
I think they will harden rules and background checking.
They’re doing this anyway, for all immigrant visas. That’s why Trump’s response is just another kneejerk unthinking one. And I say that as someone who (some of you will know) actually agrees that DV doesn’t make a whole lot of sense (neither does the extent of allowable chain migration imo) and a sensible program to attract skills is much more in America’s long term interest.

Does anyone know if congress were to eliminate the DV program this fiscal year if that will affect the DV -2018 selectees?

He tweets like a kid and yet he is the president of the United States of America. It looks like he is the most powerful toddler in the world and that's why they have child safety cap on nuclear button.