• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump attacks Diversity Visa program

The effective date they refer to is the same one all other dv-elimination bills use - the first day of the fiscal year that begins on or after the year the law is enacted.

If this is such common knowledge why do we have everyone here panicking about immediate cancellation of DV visas? Would it have killed you to put the effective date mentioned in with the extract you quoted for some context, along with the link to the 592-page document?

If this is such common knowledge why do we have everyone here panicking about immediate cancellation of DV visas? Would it have killed you to put the effective date mentioned in with the extract you quoted for some context, along with the link to the 592-page document?
My sincere apologies. I don't know if it's common knowledge - I certainly did not know it before I read Britsimon repeatedly refer to it. The reason why I neglected to mention it again was that my post was in direct response to a discussion that referred to bills that did or did not have an effective date, with the date being the same in all of them.

The concern, at least on my side, is that, as MJS_DV2018_EU noted, there IS a bill out there, which before the publication of the current bill was the main one proposing to reallocate the DV visas, which DID NOT have an effective date, so it could, potentially, be effective immediately. You may say that this is no reason to panic, and I would tend to agree, but I, personally, am a lawyer and not a psychoanalyst, so I am not in the habit of telling people when they should or should not panic - I honestly think some people secretly enjoy panicking.

My sincere apologies. I don't know if it's common knowledge - I certainly did not know it before I read Britsimon repeatedly refer to it. The reason why I neglected to mention it again was that my post was in direct response to a discussion that referred to bills that did or did not have an effective date, with the date being the same in all of them.

The concern, at least on my side, is that, as MJS_DV2018_EU noted, there IS a bill out there, which before the publication of the current bill was the main one proposing to reallocate the DV visas, which DID NOT have an effective date, so it could, potentially, be effective immediately. You may say that this is no reason to panic, and I would tend to agree, but I, personally, am a lawyer and not a psychoanalyst, so I am not in the habit of telling people when they should or should not panic - I honestly think some people secretly enjoy panicking.

But a bill that has ZERO percent chance of becoming law is not worth fretting about, is it?

But a bill that has ZERO percent chance of becoming law is not worth fretting about, is it?
I can only quote Benjamin Franklin, who wrote that "Our new Constitution is now established, everything seems to promise it will be durable; but, in this world, nothing is certain except death and taxes."

LOL "hire visa agent" <-- this is not against the rule/law/act whatever. Why would they want to point this out? as if it is an issue?

Duplicate entries would have rendered someone ineligible - so it shows the system is working to detect such fraud anyway. If hundreds of people fake their drivers license, would that be the reason to abolish all drivers license?

Flawed logic.

• The bill does nothing to address the outdated and dangerous Visa Lottery program, let alone fulfill the Administration’s goal of ending it.
  • A report published by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) in 2007 found that the visa lottery system was vulnerable to fraud committed by and against lottery applicants.
    • The GAO report found difficulties in verifying applicant identities, which raised serious security concerns.
    • At some of the consular posts they reviewed the majority of visa lottery applicants had hired “visa agents” to enter the lottery.
  • In 2003, the State Department Office of Inspector General (OIG) authored a report that found the program was subject to widespread abuse.
    • The OIG found that despite restrictions against duplicate visa lottery submissions, thousands of duplicate submissions were detected each year.

LOL "hire visa agent" <-- this is not against the rule/law/act whatever. Why would they want to point this out? as if it is an issue?

Duplicate entries would have rendered someone ineligible - so it shows the system is working to detect such fraud anyway. If hundreds of people fake their drivers license, would that be the reason to abolish all drivers license?

Flawed logic.

• The bill does nothing to address the outdated and dangerous Visa Lottery program, let alone fulfill the Administration’s goal of ending it.
  • A report published by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) in 2007 found that the visa lottery system was vulnerable to fraud committed by and against lottery applicants.
    • The GAO report found difficulties in verifying applicant identities, which raised serious security concerns.
    • At some of the consular posts they reviewed the majority of visa lottery applicants had hired “visa agents” to enter the lottery.
  • In 2003, the State Department Office of Inspector General (OIG) authored a report that found the program was subject to widespread abuse.
    • The OIG found that despite restrictions against duplicate visa lottery submissions, thousands of duplicate submissions were detected each year.
Of course it’s all BS. They’re quoting something from 15 years ago for heaven’s sake, when everything in the DV application system was paper and computer ID systems were primitive. But hey, why let facts get in the way of a good story? ...like master like servant

The Senate rejected all four immigration proposals brought to the Senate floor Thursday afternoon, dimming hopes for a breakthrough on immigration anytime soon. The proposal that failed by the largest numbers was the one that reflected President Trump's four must-have immigration pillars

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/senate-immigration-bills-debate-today-2018-02-15-live-stream-updates/

Hi Susie,

Living now for so many years in the U.S. Do you have any idea on how this will end? I dint imagine that the 4 pillars proposal would get such a huge blow.

Hi Susie,

Living now for so many years in the U.S. Do you have any idea on how this will end? I dint imagine that the 4 pillars proposal would get such a huge blow.

I’ve only been here 3 years, living in a part of the country that’s generally a million miles away from Trumpland... so no, I don’t know. Especially now that trump is saying he’ll veto anything that doesn’t meet his 4 pillars, vs before when he said he’d sign whatever made its way through to him.

I’ve only been here 3 years, living in a part of the country that’s generally a million miles away from Trumpland... so no, I don’t know. Especially now that trump is saying he’ll veto anything that doesn’t meet his 4 pillars, vs before when he said he’d sign whatever made its way through to him.

Looks like there is a long road ahead in terms of immigration. I guess that Senate also wants to move on and look into infrastructure as well.

Looks like there is a long road ahead in terms of immigration. I guess that Senate also wants to move on and look into infrastructure as well.

If Trump stays firm on the four pillars (I actually don't believe he stays firm on anything), and meanwhile the senate seems to hate the bill that addressed the four pillars (only 39 votes), then there is stalemate. Stalemate suits DV'ers.