trouble from double application for US GC and CANADA GC?

lcok2005

Registered Users (C)
Comments and help are appreciated on my US green card case.

I applied for RIR in 2003 and my 485 has been pending about 1 year.

In 2004, because of long way of US GC, I applied for Canada green card by myself as a backup and got the approval recently so tried to land Canada. When I came back, for some reason, USCIS knows I also applied for CAN GC and told me that double immigration application will hurt US green card and they will contact me further.

My question is:
1. is it illegal to apply for both or not?
2. will Canadian green card application causes denial of my US 485?

So I am ok because I have not landed successfully?

Hi gcbayarea,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It is so helpful.

In fact, I tried to land there but got denied because I didnot report my new baby to Canadian Consulate and asked me to add the application for my baby. So when I came back to Advanced Parole, both side knows I am in the application for both.

Last week, I wrote to Canada to declare that I will withdraw Canada GC.

So you think I am ok now? Even USCIS requests to interview me, I can convince them that I want US GC?

thanks a lot for your further comments.

Best,

What If Somebody Use H1b ?

My sister applied for canada GC and she had her 485 pending, too. you think she will be ok if she land there with H1B and not use her Advance Parole ( AP).Because she want to keep her canadian GC till she got her green card here.Thank you.

I think generally u shud be fine. But at some point in the future, you would neeed to decide between canada and the US bcos both of them have residence requirements.