Tricky Situation....Need help

gc_approved

Registered Users (C)
My friend had his I-485 approved on 2/16 and received the courtesy copy too.
He did not yet go and get his passport stamped.
He also has Permanent residency of canada approved.
Some people advised him to go to Canada first and get his status updated in Canada before he gets his US GC stamping in his passport.
Now The main question is, Can he go to canada upate his status there and enter US using his AP although his I-485 application is approved.

Appreciate any thoughts.

No Title

You can\'t have PR of two country. Though ur friend can lanf canada first and SIN applied spend at least a week and $$$ and then he can come back and can go for GC stamping. I dont know how is he going to justify landing date (canada) to INS officer at the time of GC stamping because this date is going to be between issuance of approal letter and stamping date. ALso never forget that there is treaty between US & Canada so they can share ur friends immigration related data. I still don\'t understnad why someone would need to maintain PR of two countries?

Think where you want to stay

You should think where you want to reside permanently. Thats what the permanent residency is for.

INS may revoke the green card for fraud if they find out the dual-residency. You should really put a thought into the matter. I do not know anything about Canadian residency.

I am not a lawyer.

cincy485: are you sure??

How do you know INS will revoke GC if they find dual residency? Are there are any written material or any link. Please provide it.

INS does not bother if you u hv dual or 3 countries permenant residency. It all depends upon where u stay and to keep validity of US GC one needs to fullfill # of days in US as law. Canadian GC gets void if the length of stay exceeds more than 180 days. It is not the case if one has canadian RRP and stays out of country.

First of all I cannot understand why he wants Canadian PR when he has the US one

But anyways He does not need to get his passport stamped for the US He can just wait for the cards. But he better consult with a good attorney before he does anything

No Problem

My friend got stamped GC last month without any question. He has New Zealand Permanent residency stamped on his passport. I don\'t think it is a problem at all.

You can have multiple GC...

but at US POE I have heard Agents Question the validity of two PR\'s ...but they have been allowed in

No way Jose, I am a Canadian citizen with my best friend in trouble in Canada

No way on earth you can maintain 2 PR\'s. Especially CANADA / USA. Every officer on the border recognizes both the immigration statuses. My best friend\'s wife got stuck. She was in a similar situation. However the officer said that since she wasn\'t aware of the law, she had a choice. She retained Canadian PR as her husband is also a Canadian PR. She got Canadian citizenship later and re-applied for US GC based on her father\'s US GC.

Even me, with Canadian citizenship applied for wife\'s Canada PR. Her final interview scheduled on May 10. I already delayed it once because the 485 is about to come through. Please do not risk the horrific tales at Windsor tunnel / Bridge / Sarnia / Buffalo entry points.

You cannot have 2 PR

You cannot have 2 PR\'s at the same time peroid. We have to be little sensible and use our common sense here(sorry I might sound argumentative, but thats the truth). The whole reason for a PR is that you say that I will be a permanent resident in that country and if you have 2 PR\'s the purpose is defeated right there. Maybe some of them might possess but in reality if you goto that country(second country\'s PR) there is a huge possibility that they will ask to forego one PR and I know this for a fact that they ask here in USA. This is the whole reason they have immigration visa\'s called Returning Permament Resident, et al.

Hope this helps
Thanks
Krishnan

Don\'t worry and just go for Passport Stamping

Hi Dear,

Please tell your friend that don\'t worry at all about Candian GC or US GC. It\'s law that you can hold the both country citizenzip and GC without any problem. I do have Canadian GC and waiting for my 485 approval. Please go first to US and get the stamp done, and than go to the canada after 1 month and update your status over there.

BM13

Reply to BM13

Don\'t want to sound rude but why give wrong info when you do not know anything. Agreed, new law passed accepting dual citizenships for India & US. No details have been published yet. Canada accepts dual citizenship too. But it also depends upon reciprocative condition. India until recently did not and I had to take a visa to go to India.

Coming to GC point, it is illogical to be PR of 2 countries. This is not a joke. If you come across an strict officer on US / Canadian border he might not even give you a chance and just rip off either of the GC from your passport. They have that authority. This is not a joke and please do not give any false advice.

How about having a Canadian PR stamped but expired( lived in US for more then 2 years after PR stamp

Reply to sam99 - INS \'may\' and not \'will\'

Sam99,

I said \'may\'. I did not say \'will\'.

The permanent residency can be revoked by INS under many circumstances
* Misrepresentation or fraud
* Intent of applicant
* Abandonment of residency e.g. Staying abroad for a long period of time etc

With dual residency, INS \'may\' scrutinise the case for abandonment. It also depends on host of other factors like your job, your property, your tax returns etc.

Check out http://www.immigration.com/faq/greenvisa.html and look for \'How do I maintain my Green Card if I am traveling abroad for an extended period of time\'

It is best to consult a lawyer before taking a chance. Especially, since INS blunders have caused them super embarrsment and they might start scrutinising cases in future.

I saw the immigration officer at the border took a lady\'s GC because he realised that she was also

but the fact is your CAN\'T have 2 PR.

Man, tell you friend that is he really stupid. Why is he waiting to get his passport stamped once he

My Cousin got the approval and I am waiting for my approval

Hi Dear,

Explain to me than why do they have law that you can hold two countries citizenship at once ? You can\'t become citizen without your PR and wait for 3 years. They don\'t have any rights to rip off your any legal documents, unless until you are involved in crime. I know that to giving someone wrong adivse, and speically in INS matter it\'s not good at all, but I have experience and i feel that same time better to support the people when they are doing the right steps. If you need any further information, contact me again.

kind of similar situation...Gurus ...pl. advise

i\'ve applied Candian Pr & US-GC same time. follwing stages they are in:-

a). US-GC : I-485 filed EB2,RD 09/07/01,EAD,AP approved, FP 02/09/2002 process resumed, waiting for final approval .

b). Candian PR applied on 05/17/2001, recieved medical papers/initial approval letter on 01/09/2001.
     Medical needs to submitted before 04/7/2002, otherwise my file can be closed.

I\'m going to submitt my medical this week(already schedule medical on 03/19) and wait for landing papers(kind of final
approval from Canada). I want to continue my Canadian PR, only because there may be a massive lay-off in coming
april & june in my company. and i\'m considering the possiblity, what if that happens to me and same time my US-GC is not yet
approved. And hence by doing so i can have atleast one PR(CANADA) in hand.

My question for you guru\'s:- do you guys see any problem if process both(US & Canada PR) together until i get approved I-485 or both(Canadian PR), however i\'m intrested in keeping only US GC in either of the case. So pl. suggest and post what could be the pros & cons by doing so. I\'m really worried. And one last thing, i\'m willing to surrender Canadian PR, if i get US GC first or last. But still want to continue both since none of them finally got approved yet. Pl .advise with your suggestions.

Canada and US Permanent Residents

Don\'t make a mistake. You can\'t have PR in both places. If you go to Canada they will stamp in PP and when you give yoru PP in US to stamp they will find out that you have Canadian PR, stgright away INS will cancel US PR. So my suggestion is forget Canada and get US stamp.

Try this

Proceed with your Canadian PR. Once it is approved, you can buy time from Canadian Authorities, before you actually take up the PR (i.e Land in Canada). I guess, there is a 3 or 6 months limit before which you have to land. Looking at your I-485 RD date that should be enough (time).