Tricky... AP approved, but lawyer not giving papers.. help!

ziljiban

Ppl,

INS approved my AP application, sent the papers to
the lawyer but lawyer is not giving it to me, coz there's
some billing dispute with company.

Meanwhile I changed job with EAD. So old H1 is not valid anymore.

If I have to make a trip outside US, what are my options?
New company is willing to file for a new H1. If I get it
stamped in India, I can come back as a H1, but will INS
terminate my AOS?

Has anyone dealt with tricky lawyer issues?

Whatz the procedure for hiring another lawyer?

Can I file for another AP with a new lawyer?

Pay the lawyer for your AP and go on AP or new compny has to apply for ur H1 on priorty filings and then u can get it samped. Since u r already on EAD try to get your AP from the lawyer or reapply ur self saying you never got it through ur self or new lawyer.

Paying the lawyer is out of question, since the amount in
dispute is far too large (it has nothing to do with my case).

If I apply for AP all over again, I was told INS won't grant
it since one AP is already approved.

I know I can travel outside the country if I MAINTAIN my
H1 status. But is the same true of I am not in H1 status,
leave the country, and come back in H1 status. This is
the real question.

Talk to the lawyer and work something out. In worst case you will have to pay his reasonable fees for your case only. If nothing works out, tell him that you are going to take him infront of bar ethics committee. Here is the number

1-800-238-4427 (toll free in California)
415-538-2150 (from outside California)

These numbers are basically for the lawyers to call when they have some ethics related questions. But no harm calling and finding of information as to where to go to file a complaint againt a lawyer involved in unethical conduct.

Also browse

www.calbar.ca.gov

you cannot leave the country without AP since u r already r using EAD . YOu might have problems later on . Check with ur lawyer and tell him for ur own fee or tell him you might take him to bar ethics committee as suggested. Worst case tell INS that you did't received AP even approred , lost in mail and reapply. I recall few ppl on this forum had lost APs in mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
just an idea

Just an idea...no idea if its feasible

Is it possible to get a duplicate of your AP from INS? Is that a possible route? If its as simple as walking into a local INS office & getting a duplicate copy of the AP?