Travelling with stamp on passport…. Risks???

aap

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

My 485 was approved 23 May 05. Did not receive bio-metrics notice or green card yet.
So went to local (St. Louis) office to get passport stamped. The old lady stamped for validity upto 22nd Nov and said she can’t stamp for more than 6 months since the date of approval….
Anyway, my India trip is already planned and my return is on Nov 12th. I will be taking the approval letter with me to India.

Now, while I am in India, say for some health reason I am unable to travel for some time and I can’t not come back before Nov 22n.. What happens in that kind of a situation? What can I do about it??? How can I enter USA?

Please help me here…

Thanks a lot

You shouldn't worry.The stamp in the passport is valid for 1 year.You are a permanent resident.Just get a copy of yor aproved I-485

aap said:
Hi All,

My 485 was approved 23 May 05. Did not receive bio-metrics notice or green card yet.
So went to local (St. Louis) office to get passport stamped. The old lady stamped for validity upto 22nd Nov and said she can’t stamp for more than 6 months since the date of approval….
Anyway, my India trip is already planned and my return is on Nov 12th. I will be taking the approval letter with me to India.

Now, while I am in India, say for some health reason I am unable to travel for some time and I can’t not come back before Nov 22n.. What happens in that kind of a situation? What can I do about it??? How can I enter USA?

Please help me here…

Thanks a lot
Stamps are usually given for one year.

In your case its explicitly marked as valid only until Nov 22.
I won't take a chance to come after that date.

Am sure it would get ultimately sorted out at POE - but it might be some hassle that u won't want.

Try to come back by Nov 22.

Thanks for the reply.. Of course I am coming back before 22nd Nov, the validity of I55.. but what IF I fall sick or hospitalized and can't travel??? What canI do in such a case??

Dont take a chance.

If it is expired you need to go to the embassy in your home country and get stamped.IT IS A BIG MISTAKE DONT DO THAT I HEARD SOME CASE THEY DENAIED.
aap said:
Thanks for the reply.. Of course I am coming back before 22nd Nov, the validity of I55.. but what IF I fall sick or hospitalized and can't travel??? What canI do in such a case??

Thanks for the inputs..
Just found out that there is something called 'Re-entry' permit and cost around $400 ..pphheeewwwww
Well, my tickets are for 12th Nov.. but wanted to know my options :)
I had something bad happen in teh family last month.. so would like to know what i can do in my worst case scenario!!!