Travelling with Green Card: Help Urgently Needed

durhamguy

Registered Users (C)
Travelling Outside the US with Green Card

Dear Friends:

I would appreciate your information and advice. Here's my current situation:

I got passport stamping in mid-May 2004 and received my plastic green card in June 2004. I ended my job with my current employer in October 2004. I'm leaving for China on 12/6/04 and will return to the US on 5/23/05. I will travel for pleasure across China and visit friends and family there.

Given that I will stay there for an extended period (a total of 168 days), I chose not to renew my current apartment lease. which will end in December I plan to move to another city in the US after I come back. So I will store all my personal belongings in a local storage. I still have my bank accounts with the local bank. I rented a mailbox with the local post office. I will file tax returns in April.

Here are my questions:
1. Will this scenario cause a problem when I return, etc. lose my PR status or not allowed to reenter the the US?
2. Have you heard any cases that this happened to people in a similar situation?
3. What documentation or precaution should I take to be safe?
4. When should I file change of address? Since I don't know in which city i will live until I return, will PO Box number acceptable if I need to file change of address right now?

Thanks in advance for answering any of the above questions.

Durhamguy

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see any problem in your case. You are going for less than 6 months.
You can just explain that since you were going on a long trip to visit family and friends, you gave up your apartment since it was cheaper to get local storage. I dont think there will be problem. You should file a Change of address return before you leave. Your passport will be stamped on return saying that you were out for 6 months.

Thanks for Your Response

rg585:

I appreciate your quick response. Your information makes me less anxious.

DG

When you return, try to carry copies of your Bank Statements for the 6 months you were out, I am sure you can get it online. Also carry some Credit Card statements to show that you have been using them abroad. This will indicate that you had every intention to return to the US. Good Luck and Enjoy your trip !!! I will be leaving back for India next month for good. Have applied for a Re-entry permit just in case I need to come back later to the US.

durhamguy said:
Dear Friends:

I chose not to renew my current apartment lease. which will end in December

you may want to check on this, cause technically this may cause problem. i realize realistically it is all fine, but that change of address within 10 days thing.

I agree with Litmu,

There could an issue with the address. Remember your green card requires u to notify INS of change of address. You should call the INS & find out. One option is to find a friend who is willing to let u use his/her address.

I think you shud maintain some kind of contact (care/of) address. Why dont you give your friend's/relative's address as a temporary change of address.?!!

pv1976 said:
I think you shud maintain some kind of contact (care/of) address. Why dont you give your friend's/relative's address as a temporary change of address.?!!

I agree with this suggestion.

Shouldn't be a problem. When we came back after staying abroad for 2 months, we were not asked any question at all. But it was just 2 months.

I would talk to an attorney about this though apparently there doesn't seem to be an issue. Also a suggestion of keeping some ties such as friend's address or taking bank statement etc. with you should also be helpful.