Travelling with GC - Arrival & Departure

longGC

Registered Users (C)
I have not yet travelled with GC. I have some questions. People who have already travelled may answer some of these. This will help people on this forum to understand the process in different POE and abnormalities, if any.

Q.1 While departing, who checks GC? As far as I remember it is always airline staff who saw my passport while I was taking boarding pass and checking-in my baggages?

Q.2 While departing, do they swipe the card? If yes, then who and where? After I checked in baggage, my ticket was scanned by airport staff before boarding the plane. There may be random checking of passports again at boarding station.

Q.3. Is PR card checked during transit terminals? For example, in Europe while travelling eastwards and in Far East while travelling west words. While changing planes in Europe, the airline staff does check my boarding pass and passport. Once I was asked whether I have a GC while transitting from Gatwick, UK on the way to US.

Q.4 On arrival, the immigration officer asks for GC. Does he scan (swipe) the card? If yes, does he swipe all the time (or do they sometimes just see it and let people go)?

Q.5 Is there anything else that I am supposed to know other than above information, while arriving or departing?

Q.1 While departing, who checks GC? As far as I remember it is always airline staff who saw my passport while I was taking boarding pass and checking-in my baggages?
Sometimes the airline will enquire about your GC or I-94. Not always, though.

Q.2 While departing, do they swipe the card? If yes, then who and where? After I checked in baggage, my ticket was scanned by airport staff before boarding the plane. There may be random checking of passports again at boarding station.
No, you don't go thru any immigration check while departing. Only passports are checked at security.

Q.3. Is PR card checked during transit terminals? For example, in Europe while travelling eastwards and in Far East while travelling west words. While changing planes in Europe, the airline staff does check my boarding pass and passport. Once I was asked whether I have a GC while transiting from Gatwick, UK on the way to US.
Usually in transit points in Europe the airlines might check your GC.

Q.4 On arrival, the immigration officer asks for GC. Does he scan (swipe) the card? If yes, does he swipe all the time (or do they sometimes just see it and let people go)?
He usually scans it unless you are travelling by road from Canada/Mexico.

Q.5 Is there anything else that I am supposed to know other than above information, while arriving or departing?
You will be asked about the duration of your trip.

Thanks nkm.

When I went for passport stamping at local USCIS, they took my I-94 card. I hope airline does not ask me while departing.

One more Q.

- When arriving, do we fill-up I-94 card as we did while on H1 and AP? Or as a PR we fill up a different form?

There is no I-94 for GC holders.

--------

longGC said:
Thanks nkm.

When I went for passport stamping at local USCIS, they took my I-94 card. I hope airline does not ask me while departing.

One more Q.

- When arriving, do we fill-up I-94 card as we did while on H1 and AP? Or as a PR we fill up a different form?

Thanks to JoeF and GC mama.

1. The way they know when a person departed is through passenger manifest which airline provides.

AND

2. The way they know a person arrived is through card swiping.
The card swiping is a direct entry into system but 1. above can be error prone as it involves airline, paper work, then manual entry into system by someone in USCIS.

Please correct me where I am wrong.

longGC said:
Thanks to JoeF and GC mama.
2. The way they know a person arrived is through card swiping.
The card swiping is a direct entry into system but 1. above can be error prone as it involves airline, paper work, then manual entry into system by someone in USCIS.QUOTE]

When card is swiped is it only to make sure the card is not fake and gives just vital info, or does it show your entire history on how you got the card i.e. through what process: family, employment, asylum , etc...?

What is passenger manifest and how do they find accurate information (even if transferred electronicaly). All I give to Airline is my name to get the ticket. Based on name only one cannot identify a person completely.

In the similar lines I was wondering, what is INS's way of finding exactly how long an LPR was out of country (information required during naturalization, or validating a LPR is not violating the requirement of max stay allowed outside US)

Travelling with AP

I am travelling with my family on AP which is valid until 2/5/05, it is almost 5.5 yrs last i visited india and my passport has a visa which is expired and my H1B visa (7th year expires on july 18th 2004) and right now i am with EAD and AP
My question is
1)Do I have any problems if travel under AP with EAD and I-485 pending from last 1 year

Please let me know

Thanks
Manasa

redforgreen said:
What is passenger manifest and how do they find accurate information (even if transferred electronicaly). All I give to Airline is my name to get the ticket. Based on name only one cannot identify a person completely.

I don't think they can identify, but they can have a "good guess". When it comes to GC holders, visa holders who were previously entered USA, most of the time that "guess" correctly identify the person - based on name, origin of travel, country of citizenship etc. Actual and official identification happens at POE.

redforgreen said:
In the similar lines I was wondering, what is INS's way of finding exactly how long an LPR was out of country (information required during naturalization, or validating a LPR is not violating the requirement of max stay allowed outside US)

Currently there is no well-defined policy (in my best knowledge) to know that. I travelled three times using my GC (all from LAX). Second time, Lufthansa airlines asked me to fill-up a form while checking-in. On form I had to write name, A#, country of citizenship, passport number. However, first time (Singapore airlines) and third time (United airlines) nobody asked me to do so. So I assume it's upto the airlines to comply with this procedure.

manasa18 said:
I am travelling with my family on AP which is valid until 2/5/05, it is almost 5.5 yrs last i visited india and my passport has a visa which is expired and my H1B visa (7th year expires on july 18th 2004) and right now i am with EAD and AP
My question is
1)Do I have any problems if travel under AP with EAD and I-485 pending from last 1 year

This is not the right forum for this issue. There are couple of I-485 forums. Anyway...yes, you can safely travel with AP. Keep both the original AP papers with you. Also keep couple of photocopies of your AP (some airlines people ask for that and they don't have photocopy machine...too bad...never give them originals), EAD card, your drivers license and a copy of your I-485 receipt.

If airline don't ask passengers departing from the US for green card, how do they figure out the person's A#? That's impossible.

All that they have is passenger name, that's it.

My friend's parents just departed San Francisco airport by Korean air without being ask for green card for recording. They have safely been back to the US already.

Hi LongGC,

Can you share with us on how you work with I-485 Adjustment of Status being denied due to laid off by sponsoring employer? How did you get around with BCIS in getting the GC then?

Thanks.

JoeF said:
That's because they get this information through other means.

Do you have any document/article?

Yes, they can get info from other means. But as long as I myself is not providing the information, there is a good possibility that it won't be accurate all the time. Whatever information I present myself is the most accurate information. Someone can varify the accuracy of information presented by me, but cannot bypass my presentation.

Let me give you just a similar analogy - credit record. Equifax, Experian etc are pretty good and efficient companies who maintains credit record prvoided by various banks and loan comapanies.They are not lousy govt organization like USCIS/DHS. Still an number of credit records are not accurate and it's very often a person needs to check his/her credit record and correct it if required. Whenever some infomation is provided by 3rd party is more prone to inaccuracy. Remember, your credit score is nothing but a "best scientific guess" for your credit worthiness.

Same fashion, what's the assurance that the information provided by airlines or "other means" (as you mentioned) won't be inaccurate? That's why I used the word "guess".

If it's so easy to get accurate information from "other means" - lots of procedures on the world were not required at all. And, eveything could be named "investigation" - H1 investigation, I485 investigation. Talk about police state.

JoeF said:
Hmm, no. You don't seem to have much experience with databases...
Even if the airlines don't know, CIS can figure that out, by reference through the passport number..

You don't seem to have much experience in traveling (borrowing your word). Let me share my own experience. I was traveling on United Airlines from LAX-Chicago-Frankfurt. As LAX-Chicago is domestic flight, they did not ask for passport. In O'hare I did have to show passport because I just had to go one gate to another gate because I already have my boarding pass for Chicago-Frankfurt flight (they check passport and take back I-94 for international flight only at checkin counter). Then in flight I remember that I did not return my I-94 (I was in I-485 stage that time). So I returned I-94 to one of the crew member in flight. Bottomline is that, I did not have to show my passport to anybody. And that's is after 9/11.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
But I find it funny that you condemn police states, but argue for exit controls which would presumable be more intrusive than the current ones. Talk about inconsistency... You obviously haven't thought this through...

Nope, there is a difference. Any border entry-exit system should not be intrusive, but it's just to keep track of who is in and who is out. We already keep track of who is "in", but we don't who is "out".

America is place of immigrants. Historically it was not interested on keeping track of of who are leaving, but who are coming in.

JoeF said:
I
Then you should be interested to give them the accurate information yourself...

That's what I am talking all along. Whatever the information I present standing in front of an immigration officer is more accurate than an information from "other means". That's why I was talking about exit-checking system. I failed to understand in what way information from "other means" is not intrusive, but an point-of-exit system is intrusive.

For example, considering an existing system - if I am fill wrong info in I-94, I myself is responsible. If CIS tomorrow get rid of I-94, rely on "other means" and some wrong info comes up - who is responsible? That's where question of accuracy comes up. There is a difference between "intelligence" and "information". Whatever comes up from so-called CIS database feeding manifest is "intelligence" and they are primarily focused for security.

JoeF said:
As I told you, CIS keeps track on who is out. Even more so after 9/11. And, as far as I'm concerned, that's an invasion of my privacy.
So anything more is by definition more intrusive. With every post you confirm that you haven't thought this through...
And if that's so, then why do you advocate tracking???

Well, your privacy gets damaged more severely when you are leaving USA assuming that nobody is watching you, then someone is actually watching you by "other means". It gives a false notion that CIS does not know you are leaving. On the contracy they are spying on you. But on the other hand, if there is a defined point-of-exit system exists, you can choose not to go to that point to keep your privacy.

A point-of-exit system no way "more", but it's "publicly defined". Therefore, it has accountability to public - you, me and any US citizens. On the other hand any "other means" info does not have any accountability to public.

It's similar to getting a drivers license. If you want to keep your privacy don't apply for license. You don't need to provide them your picture + thumb-print, hence keep your privacy.

JoeF said:
So, the situation with CIS having data that has the potential of being inaccurate is nothing special. In general, cross-checking is a time-honored method to find inaccurate data. And that's one of the reasons they ask questions at the POE, even though their system shows how long you were abroad...

Cross-chcking with what?

JoeF said:
So, what's your problem? Get a degree in computer science. You can learn all about data mining in class...

Well, don't feel too proud of that degree because lots of people doing better job than you (if you have any at all) even without having that. If you feel annoyed, open refrigerator and put some ice on your head. Nobody is forcing you to reply my messages (unless that's your paid job after having a computer science degree). :eek: :eek:
Probably in addition to CS degree, you need an "ego-management degree".

BTW, I do have degree you mentioned above and I do know data-mining. I respect your knowledge on immigration, but some of recent postings are filled with personal ego and derogatory comment about others "limited" knowledge. I would be ignoring your posting in future. Period.

Hi LongGC,

Can you share with us on how you work with I-485 Adjustment of Status being denied due to laid off by sponsoring employer? How did you get around with BCIS in getting the GC then?

Thanks.

I have answered in detail in my posts, if you could locate in Advanced Search.

Once the 485 is denied, you have 30 days to file MTR - Motion To Reopen. After that you are in status and you can work on EAD until the decision on MTR is made. There is no way to 'get around' but I had to 'go through' the system.( and I can say that I went through hell :p ).