Travelling to India with AP while working on H1B

kanna01

My H1B stamp in the passport is expired but I have an approved H1B valid for next 2+ years. I have an EAD and AP but I am still working on H1B.

1 Is there any issue of using AP while working on non-immigrant H1-B visa?
2 At the port of entry does the immigration officer check my EAD? (EAD has a misspelled last name)
3 At POE do they ask all 3 copies of AP since I need to go out of country again for business travel in a month?
4. What is the minimum # of days between I 485 apporval and stamping date? (do they specify the date or can I schedule?) In case if they approved my I 485 while I am in India.

Please provide your feedback and experience

Thanks in advance

EB3/RIR/India/Ohio
I 140 AP August 2002
I485 RD 12/17/2002
I 485 ND 12/18/2002
1st FP 2/4/2003
2nd FP 8/4/2004

Last edited by a moderator:
kanna01

I am also in the same situation, any Guru's can you answer Kanna's questions.
Thanks inadvance.

kanna01 said:
1 Is there any issue of using AP while working on non-immigrant H1-B visa?
No there is no issue. Using an AP, does not make the H1 invalid.

kanna01 said:
2 At the port of entry does the immigration officer check my EAD? (EAD has a misspelled last name)
No, they will nlot check the EAD. EAD is an employment document and is not required for reentry.

kanna01 said:
3 At POE do they ask all 3 copies of AP since I need to go out of country again for business travel in a month?
You shokld take one original (it is 3 originals that you receive), and a few photocopies of the AP. At POE you have to show the original (one). The airlines people may want to keep one copy, always give them the photocopy and keep the oroginal with you.

kanna01 said:
4. What is the minimum # of days between I 485 apporval and stamping date? (do they specify the date or can I schedule?) In case if they approved my I 485 while I am in India.
If your I-485 is approved you should come back as soon as possible, but definitlty before expiry of AP. I don't think they specify the # of days for stamping. But since I have not been approved, this may be wrong and if so somepne will correct me I am sure. :)

Thanks sertra2002,
My AP is expiring in June 2005. I did not know at POE they will accept a copy of AP after showing originals.

Thanks again

Copy is not required at POE but by airlines people and emigration in India. At POE they will look at the original, put a stamp on it and return it to you. You only need one original, and you can reuse it again and again.

sertra2002 said:
No there is no issue. Using an AP, does not make the H1 invalid.

No, they will nlot check the EAD. EAD is an employment document and is not required for reentry.

You shokld take one original (it is 3 originals that you receive), and a few photocopies of the AP. At POE you have to show the original (one). The airlines people may want to keep one copy, always give them the photocopy and keep the oroginal with you.

My experience is that we should show all the originals and they stamp on all of them .....

If your I-485 is approved you should come back as soon as possible, but definitlty before expiry of AP. I don't think they specify the # of days for stamping. But since I have not been approved, this may be wrong and if so somepne will correct me I am sure. :)

That is very important issue, I would also like to understand if I 485 approved while in home country can we use AP and there is no other complications. senior members

sun_2004 said:
My experience is that we should show all the originals and they stamp on all of them .....

Did they specifically ask for the 3 AP's? I am sure the answer would be NO. If you voluntarily show then all 3 they would stamp all three, but as a matter of fact all are not required, you only need ONE original AP, just as you need one visa and one passpport. In fact some people receive only 2 originals.

honeyhappy said:
That is very important issue, I would also like to understand if I 485 approved while in home country can we use AP and there is no other complications. senior members

If you are not in US, you can use AP after I-485 approval to reenter,and there is no complication.

Last edited by a moderator: