Travelling to Canada: where to purchase Canadian $$ at good rates?

bullandre

Registered Users (C)
I am driving to Ontario from NYC this weekend and I need CAD at good rates. My bank (Citibank) offered to order it overnight for a $5 fee but I know there must be some cheaper option that cost little or nothing as I remember purchasing foreign currency in Jamaica without incurring a fee.

Can someone please direct me to a good source. Thanks in advance.

How many dollars are you talking about? Are you simply visiting Canada or are you establishing a residence there?

How many dollars are you talking about? Are you simply visiting Canada or are you establishing a residence there?
I'm not establishing residence but I am visiting for 3 days and I just need CAD$100 to travel with and I will use my cards for other expenses.

Please advise accordingly, thanks.

Take your bank ATM card with you and withdraw cash at any Canadian ATM. Even after fees are factored in, ATMs offer the best exchange rate you are going to get.

Thanks for your suggestion, for some reason I thought they were reasonable FX dealers within close proximity of the border.

Thanks for your suggestion, for some reason I thought they were reasonable FX dealers within close proximity of the border.

You are worried about saving 4-5 dollars more on forex for $100 US? Come on! that is less than a cost of a fast food meal!

Ok, I will definitely use my debit card. Will I need CAD$$ to pay to toll at the Peace Bridge or will US$ suffice.