Travelling to Canada on E2 while GC app in progress

soxjc

I am just about to apply for a GC having married a US citizen. I have been in the US since DEC 2002 on a E2 VISA which has been recently renewed and is valid until 2011.

I would like to travel to Canada in March next year but don't expect to have my GC by then. Will I be ok travelling on my E2 or does it become void after a GC application is started.

Thanks in advance for any help as I can't find any definitive info on this.

soxjc said:
I am just about to apply for a GC having married a US citizen. I have been in the US since DEC 2002 on a E2 VISA which has been recently renewed and is valid until 2011.

I would like to travel to Canada in March next year but don't expect to have my GC by then. Will I be ok travelling on my E2 or does it become void after a GC application is started.

Thanks in advance for any help as I can't find any definitive info on this.
Your visa will become void after you get a receipt notice for your green card application. If you wish to travel outside the U.S., you can file form I-131 with your green card application. I-131 an application for a travel document (advance parole), and it will give you the right to travel safely outside the U.S. Most people get their advance parole cards about 2 months after filing, so you should definitely have it before March.

And also, they tend to schedule interviews pretty quickly these days, so, if all goes well with your case (and it should!), you may even have your green card by March :)

Good luck! :)

Thanks very much for the info. I'll get that application off asap and hope for the best. The Canada trip isn't essential so I'll just wait and see.