Travelling overseas using the 7th year extension.

Bofors

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

Im starting this thread to ask about experiences regarding:

1. Getting a 7th year H1 extension stamp on their passports (from within the US or at an overseas post)

2. Travelling to and back from overseas on the basis of the 7th year stamp.

.. Are there any particular issues to be sensitive about regarding both points?

No Title

Folks,

Two things...

I am in a situation where I need to travel for approx 2 months, at the end of the next 4 weeks. I will be able to file for my H1 extension (6 years expiring in Oct 2001, LC done, I-140 pending 7 months) within the next 1-2 weeks. But I was planning to get the approved paperwork sent to me overseas which I will then use to get a visa stamp locally there and then return to the States. Has anyone done something like this or has any thoughts about this.

Even if I dont make this trip now and wait for the H1 extension to get approved first, I would like to know of any experiences gained by others in getting the extension stamped on their passports and actually travelling back and forth on the basis of the stamp.

I know we here are not attorneys giving our professional advice, but your personal opinions, thoughts, considerations and most of all experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bofors

No Title

Answer to your question 1;

Since you have a valid visa stamped in the passport until Oct 2001, I do not see any problem of you travelling outsite USA for two months. But, make sure that you are within US before the Visa expiry date (i.e) Oct 2001.

As far as I know (INS yet to release its guidelines), you can not get your Visa stamped for the 7th year extension at consulate offices around the world. It can only be done within USA. Read the DOS memo that was released during the last week (visit www.isn.org for the copy of the memo).

Answers to question 2:

Once you have a valid multiple entry visa stamped in your passport, I do not see any problem of you visiting foreign countries and returning back before the expiry of the visa.

Consult a lawyer, if you want to be on the safe side.

No Title

This is an excert from Sheela Murthy\'s weekly newsletter. You can access it at http://www.murthy.com/bulletin.html

======================
Beware of Travel if H1B Approved Beyond Six Years - June 2001

On June 11, 2001 Secretary of State Colin Powell issued a cable message to consulates interpreting section 106 of the October 2000 law known as the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act (AC21). In this article in the MURTHYBULLETIN, we highlight the portion of the cable that discusses the effect of a "7th year" H1B extension on the ability to obtain an H1B visa. As background, subsections 106(a) and (b) of AC21 provide for the ability to obtain an H1 extension beyond six years in some circumstances when the Green Card process was started over a year before.

H1B Extensions Beyond Six Years

The cable explains that subsection 106(a) of AC21 exempts an H1B holder from the six-year limit on stay, under certain circumstances, when the Green Card process is taking a long time. The cable also explains that subsection 106(b) provides for extensions in one-year increments until a final decision is made on the person\'s permanent resident status. The message then goes on to give a very narrow interpretation of the nature of the extension: only the person\'s stay in the U.S. is extended, but the H1B petition is not extended. In order to have a visa issued, a person must have a valid petition. Therefore, this interpretation means that a person who has been
granted the 7th year extension is not able to travel, because an H1B visa will not be issued.

The distinction between the duration of a person\'s stay and the validity of a petition is a real one under immigration law. The INS makes two separate determinations on each H1B petition, and the approval notice mentions both. For example an H1B approval notice may state that the petition and extension of status have been approved, or that the H1B petition has been approved but the extension of status has been denied. However, it is unlikely that the Senators and Members of Congress who drafted and approved AC21 would have had this somewhat technical distinction in mind. Most people are completely unaware of the difference between an extension of the petition and an
extension of the beneficiary\'s stay.

Perhaps when INS issues its guidance on 106(a) and (b) the Department of State (DOS) may reconsider its position. And in fact, we at The Law Office of Sheela Murthy can confirm that when these 7th year extensions are approved, the approval notice language is exactly the same as in other H1B cases. So there is no logical or legal reason to assume that only the person\'s stay, and not the petition, has been extended.

To summarize, the DOS has issued its interpretation of the AC21 law for those whose H1B extensions have been approved, and has determined that it will not issue a new visa stamp in this situation. So beware of travel abroad after having completed 6 years of your H1B!
===================

No Title

Opening of Door for 7-year H-1B Professional\'s Travel

http://www.immigration-law.com
------------------------------------------------------
People may recall that DOS Visa Office opined not too long ago that the AC 21 allows extension of H-1B "status" but "not extension of petition" beyond six years in certain circumstances. It also opined that since the Consulate could not issue a visa without a valid extension "petition," the American Consulates would not be able to issue visa once such alien leaves the U.S.
The INS AC21 Memorandum should change the situation in that since the INS will grant extension "petition," such H-1B professional should be able to obtain an extended visa with the "valid" extension petition, I-797. This view is informally confirmed by the Legal Advisory Division Chief of DOS in Boston. It is hoped that the DOS releases its formal opinion on this issue soon.
People should remember that if their 6-year limit has reached and they filed 7th year extension petition under AC21, they should not depart from the U.S. until the extension petition is approved. Better yet, they may want to apply for the 7th year H-1B visa extension through the visa revalidation proceedings at the State Department in the U.S., just for safeside.

Urgent please help !!!

Hi Guys,

Have any of you got your passport stamping in India ( Chennai ) for 7th year extension ??

Thanks.