Travelling on Two Passports

Obongo

Registered Users (C)
Just when I thought I was out ... I get pulled back in ;)

I am a U.S. and Australian citizen now.

I'm going back in May. Now how should I use
the two passports?

United Airlines state: When entering Australia,
present Australian passport. When returning
to U.S. present U.S. passport.

But my friends say this could raise issues since
the USCIS front-line officer will note that the U.S.
passport is missing a leaving date.

What should I do?

What should I do?

United airlines is spot on. There is no leaving date on any passport for any travel. It is always the entry date. So, your friends really don't know what they are talking about. Open your current passport and try to check for a "leaving date" for any travel you have made.

When you leave US, every US citizen is required to fill in a little form and drop it in to a white box located past the security checkpoint just before boarding the plane. That is the only documented proof that an American citizen has left the country. And that too was implemented after the 9/11 attacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you leave US, every US citizen is required to fill in a little form and drop it in to a white box located past the security checkpoint just before boarding the plane. That is the only documented proof that an American citizen has left the country. And that too was implemented after the 9/11 attacks.

???

I've never seen such a box.... or did I miss it somewhere?
Just last week, I was at Detroit airport. Over at the next
gate was a NW flight bound for Tokyo. I saw no such box.
(and I was hangning around that area for 3 hours, thanks
to my delayed flight :( )

Just when I thought I was out ... I get pulled back in ;)

I am a U.S. and Australian citizen now.

I'm going back in May. Now how should I use
the two passports?

What should I do?

I cannot speak about Australia. However, my cousin is
also holds two passports.(one of which is a USA passport)

Our home country's airport immigration officer is very
understanding and they always stamp both passports
when you depart from the country.

My cousin and I went there on a short vacation several
months ago. When we presented our passports(home
country) at the exit immigration lines, the officer aske if
we had any second passports that needed to be stamped.
My cousin presented hers. Since I'm no a US citizen yet,
I just said no... the officer said "ooooh, you only got one
passport"(and smiled) :( (hey, I'm working on that as
we speak) :)

Or what you can do which is what I'll probably do. Carry both passports, but only show your US one when entering in the home country. If they state why you're visiting etc, just tell them, you have family and friends and are originally from there. They'll stamp your US passport and no more reason to worry. If they ask for proof, show your home country passport at this time...

No issues in carrying two (or multiple) passports. My father recently completed a trip where he had to carry all three of his passports. He flew Toronto-Chicago-Karachi and back. He needed his US passport to enter the US to change planes. He used his Pakistani passport to enter Pakistan. Finally he needed his Canadian passport to re-enter Canada.

Afaik, you have to show your home country's passport when entering that country.

Well that would make the most sense, but there is nothing stopping you entering your home country as a visitor on a foreign passport so long as you have whatever visas are necessary etc.

Maybe I am over simplifying matters, but it seems to me you'd travel to your home country using your original passport, then travel back to the US using your US passport. The whole issue of exit stamps seems a little bogus since the US doesn't really pay them any attention. If your home country wants to stamp something, let them stamp their own passport, not your US one.

In most cases, like the US and Canada. However the UK and Pakistan (two examples) will allow their citizens to enter on other passports. Pakistanis can enter Pakistan on any other passport as long as they carry their national identity card along with their foreign passport.

Afaik, you have to show your home country's passport when entering that country.

Last edited by a moderator:
In most cases, like the US and Canada. However the UK and Pakistan (two examples) will allow their citizens to enter on other passports. Pakistanis can enter Pakistan on any other passport as long as they carry their national identity card along with their foreign passport.

Thats interesting - I didn't know you could do that in the UK. (Might be useful, 'cos I'm a UK citizen who will be traveling there later this year)