Travelling on Same day of Oath. What are my options

abc_xyz

Registered Users (C)
I recently appeared for interview and my Oath date is on the same day as my planned travel date ( for atleas 3+ months). What are my options if I would like to complete Oath and travel foreign Country(India) on the same day?

-I will not have US passport on the same day as Oath. I would like to apply it on US consulate in India
-I will not have foreign country Visa. ( as I will not have Passport on day of my Oath)

I know these is tricky situation and would like to know everyone's opinion.

Thanks

Lets just say I know of a 'friend', a very happy lady indeed. Who got her oath done, applied for expedited passport same day and traveled the day after (without US passport - they wouldn't do it the same day). She had her passport forwarded to her abroad by a family member and she is now in possession of both her foreign and US passport and can travel back to the US anytime. Wouldn't recommend it, but who's to know of each others circumstances and urgency.

Only thing that could be a Boo-Boo is if the passport got lost on it's way to you while abroad. Then you don't have any paperwork to which you can enter the US with. Then you're screwed (proverbially).

I don't recommend this - but am just sharing the story merely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets just say I know of a 'friend', a very happy lady indeed. Who got her oath done, applied for expedited passport same day and traveled the day after (without US passport - they wouldn't do it the same day). She had her passport forwarded to her abroad by a family member and she is now in possession of both her foreign and US passport and can travel back to the US anytime. Wouldn't recommend it, but who's to know of each others circumstances and urgency.

Only thing that could be a Boo-Boo is if the passport got lost on it's way to you while abroad. Then you don't have any paperwork to which you can enter the US with. Then you're screwed (proverbially).

I don't recommend this - but am just sharing the story merely.

Your plan won't work. At the Oath ceremony they will take back GC. Only with your Indian passport without GC you cannot leave this country or enter India. If you manage somehow you cannot return as your US PP will not have entry stamp in India. You will land in jail in India for using Indian PP after naturalizing here.

Postpone your oath ceremony. Do not do anything foolish.

Only with your Indian passport without GC you cannot leave this country or enter India.

I am not saying it will work, but I am sure you can leave US with only Indian passport and have a reasonable chance of not being questioned about GC/Visa on reaching India.

With new requirement of Surrender Certificate for India, it will take about a week or so to get SC and Visa to travel to India after you get US PP.

In case you decide to travel on Indian PP and manage to travel, in future when you go for Indian Visa or OCI, you will be caught by Indian Consulate. They have huge fine (not sure how much) if a person has traveled on Indian PP after obtaining citizenship of another country.

As every one suggested, either postpone travel or postpone Oath. Knowingly do not try to play with FIRE:confused::confused:

The best bet is to postpone the oath, travel to your country, come back and take oath.

Here is what I finally did. Immediately after Oath, I rushed to Passport office to get the same day passport as I moved my travel plan next day. Went to Indian Consulate next day to obtain entry visa. I had to rush to India as my FIL was not doing well and we got oath on the same day on our originally planned travel date.

Thanks All for your help.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: