Travelling in H1B - Should I show I-485 receipt to Img. officer while re-entering ?

dhi_img

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Following points will explain my current status:
1. Applied for I-485 recently.
2. Have a Valid H1B visa ( valid till May, 2006 ).
3. Haven’t applied for Advance Parole.
4. Want to go out of the country for 5 weeks in Feb,2004.
5. My lawyer sent me photo-copies of the receipts, I-140, I-485 and EAD, and NOT the original receipts.
6. I’ll travel on my H1B visa.

My questions are:
1. While entering the country, do I need to show the receipt of I-485 to the immigration officer along with my H1B approval notice.
2. If I need to show the receipt, is it OK to show the photo-copy or original is MUST ?
3. If I do not show the I-485 receipt, would that cause any harm in the processing? I’m asking this question because, the I-94 number in my I-485 application form will be invalidated ( I guess ) when I’ll leave the country, and during the processing of my case in INS, would they assume that processing in not needed any more, make the application void, since the I-94 number in the application form is invalid.

I’d really appreciate your response.
Thank You.

As long as u have a valid H1B stamp on ur passport there is no need to worry about anything. At the POE just show ur passport and nothing else.
But it is always better to carry photocopies of your documents (140/485 receipts, 140 approval, labor, etc)..u never know who u might run into.

No

I had similar case like you. recently, I went India for 3 weeks.
While returning to USa, at the POE, I showeed only H1 visa . No problem. But carried the 485 receipt. Do not tell anything extra unless asked for. Enjoy your trip