Travelling AP question ! Please advise.

HateOhatoMemo

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I’ve a question regarding traveling to India with AP. My First AP and EAD are expiring in about 3+ months. My current AP expires on Oct 30, 2004. I might need to travel to India on Oct 1, 2004 and return on Oct 25, 2004.

My question is could I return back to USA by Oct 25, 2004, when my AP is expiring on Oct 30, 2004? I’m hoping that my new AP would be with me in 2 months, but it is highly unlikely. I would just have the receipt in my hand. So would my current AP do the job? Or it’s a risk that I’m taking?

Thanks
Raj

There is no "safe" zone here, you are either admissible or you are not. If you show up at a US port of entry on or before expiration of AP, there is no reason why you should have any problems.

HateOhatoMemo said:
could I return back to USA by Oct 25, 2004, when my AP is expiring on Oct 30, 2004?

If these are the exact dates, then yes. AP is valid for the dates/duration stated on the document.

Mmmm.... I talked to my attorney about traveling and coming back close to the expiration date on my AP and she advised against it. As with all things immigration-related, I would be careful. Is there any way you can wait for the new AP and travel later?

Thanks for all the advice and input. I've decided to wait for my New AP and then travel to India in the month of december. By that time, hopefully I should've my new AP.
Raj