Travelling Abroad on Job after getting Green Card

dallas_007

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I have been asked to go on an International Assignment by my consulting company. The International Assignment is for 9 months but I will be allowed a trip back home to US for a week every month. Should I be concerned or contact a Immigration Attorney to discuss my PR status.

Also is there a danger of voilating the 180 day rule if the project extends over 9 months. As I would not have been in US for more than 180 days.

Please post you thoughts if you see any problems arising in this situation. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Have a good day.

Note: I\'m maintaining an APT in US, all my bank accounts and my salary is still paid by the US firm. I\'m also contributing to my 401k in US.

Dallas and JoeF

Why would you not apply for a re-entry permit?
Will that not be the safest option?
JoeF, you are more an expert at this than any of us, but correct me if I am wrong in recommending Dallas to go for re-entry permit
That way even if you cannot come back every month for workload etc.. you should be ok

How do I apply for re-entry permit

Hello JoeF and GcforAll,

Can you please let me know where to find info on re-entry permit and do I need to apply for re-entry permit for every month I return.

Thanks a bunch guys for your help.

JoeF

JoeF,
What are the rules governing naturalization requirements once you apply for re-entry permit?
Here are some specific questions:
1. If I apply for re-entry permit, but still visit US once every 2 months for say 2 weeks; and then comeback to US permanently after 1 year - will I still have lost the entire 2 years (duration that re-entry permit was valid for) as something that I could have otherwise applied towards naturalization stay requirement?

Thanks

I received GC in...

gcForAll,

I received GC in Jan 2002,
I work for Big Five Consulting firm(not Anderse).
So we are assinged on Global Implementations but are always allowed to fly back every week or once in 2wks. But due to Slowdown in economy our client negotiated a monthly fly back of oneweek.

Do you think I should contact my immigration Department and figure out the Pros & Cons of applying for Re-entry Permit.

I am worried now that if I apply for Re-entry Permit how that would affect my naturalization when I become eligible for it.

Thanks a lot for your inputs and help.

JoeF, thanks a bunch

Joef,

thanks a lot for educating me in these matters.
As I mentioned only in Jan 2002 I got my PR done so I am new and trying to better understand the provisions and consequences of PR and how it affects my current situatio

dallas

JoeF

JoeF,
So, to summarize:
Even if one applies for Re-entry permit, but still ends up maintaining "continuous residence" by coming back within every 6 months PLUS is physically in the US for 30 months during 5 years preceding the naturalization application; then he is eligible for naturalization (granted other things like moral character, health, etc.. are ok).
So, bottomline is that having a re-entry permit doesnot hinder the naturalization process as long as the requirements for naturalization are taken care of. Right?

For some reason I thought that once you apply for re-entry, you loose 2 years for naturalization, irrespective of how long are you in the US during those 2 years. From what you are saying JoeF, I was wrong. Correct?