Travell abroad with conditinal GC

Lemonad

Guys please describe how did you travell with Cond GC to your country and came back??
is it save to travell??? defenetly they let you in???

A conditional GC is as good as a 10yr GC for travel, assuming of course that it hasn't expired...

The actual mechanics of using it are simple; you travel on your existing passport, and then when you reenter the US, you show both your GC and your passport.

Yup. That is all, you do not need anything but your "unexpired" passport and "unexpired" green card. If it has expired and you are removing the conditions, bring the letter saying it has been extended for 1 year.

I traveled with the following combos during my conditional LPR status and never had a problem.
(1) Passport and valid conditional GC
(2) Passport, expired conditional GC and extension letter
(3) Passport and I-551 stamp with an annotation that my conditions have been lifted

Well #3 actually was a stage when I had uncondional LPR status but hadn't yet received my 10 year GC.

Guys please describe how did you travell with Cond GC to your country and came back??
is it save to travell??? defenetly they let you in???

Is there a limit on the time duration one can spend abroad while on the conditional PR/GC or for that matter, the 10 year GC? What are your experiences? The USCIS website states that any stay out of the country exceeding 1 year needs a re-entry permit or else, the PR is considered abandoned. Is that rule actually enforced?

From "Now That You Are A Permanent Resident" webpage of the USCIS:

Maintaining Permanent Residence

You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

1) Move to another country intending to live there permanently.

2) Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

3) Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

4) Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.

5) Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns.

*Lemonad, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I believe this to be a valid question for us all on cond. GC or otherwise. Good luck :) *

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a limit on the time duration one can spend abroad while on the conditional PR/GC or for that matter, the 10 year GC? What are your experiences? The USCIS website states that any stay out of the country exceeding 1 year needs a re-entry permit or else, the PR is considered abandoned. Is that rule actually enforced?

Any stay outside the US for longer than 6 months has the potential to trigger a trip to secondary examination at the PoE, and adversely impacts your continuous residence for naturalization purposes.

A trip longer than 1 year requires a Reentry Permit, otherwise your LPR is considered abandoned. The permit is good for a maximum of 2 years.

Yes it is enforced, although you may not always find out about it until some point down the road (such as during a naturalization interview) when USCIS becomes aware you did something that showed intent to abandon residency.

If you are posted abroad on business (>6 months, but <2yrs), it is best to try to get an N-470 to preserve your residence for natz purposes. Strict rules apply, and the company must be a US Corporation.