Traveling

payala

Registered Users (C)
I have my residency card under my married name but my passport is still with my maiden name. It doesn't expire for another 5 years so I was wondering what kind of documentations to bring with me. I don't know if they will bother me because of the name difference.
Thanks!

Correct, carry with you an original copy of your marriage certificate (you can ask for a copy of your marriage certificate at the courthouse or city hall) since you do not want to carry your original marriage certificate and get damage.

Some got picky on it...and can ask for it. And the airlines to be able to check you if you make your ticket with your married name can ask for proof of name change to verify your identity.

It's not big deal...but I decided to get a new passport at the end because I travel very frequently.

Good luck,

Although it is a personal choice and as long as you have marriage liscense to show new name change it shouldn't be a problem But changing name on passport is not that difficult for those who have a foriegn Consulate near them.

We went to the Japanese Consulate Los Angeles and had them ammend her current passport with the new married name change.It cost us $7.00 all they did was put a stamp with name change & official seal on the page following her bio page of her passport, process was very quick. Now her Photo ID passport reflects her new name and serves as official ID for things like travel, & Biometrics Appt.!

Thanks for your responses!
I figured it could be a pain to go through immigration and customs. At least now I won't be waiting twice as long in the non-immigrants line! =)

I was thinking of getting a new passport but I didn't want to pay $100 again, especially since I just got a new passport last year because my old one had expired.

Thanks!!

I just checked, the closest one is in NYC and I don't know if I wanna waste an entire day in that. Maybe I'll just wait till I go home this winter. I just wanted to find out how big of a problem/delay I will have to experience next time I go home.