Traveling with AP

milli

Registered Users (C)
Anyone who used their AP to enter recently, please post the following details:

1. Which immigration lane you have to take?
2. What are the documents asked for?
3. Do you get back your AP document?
4. what is the stamping you get on I-94?
5. Any other things that I should know of

Thanks a lot.

My wife entered with me using her AP in 12/01, I entered with H1B and Here is what we experienced

1. Which immigration lane you have to take?
As usual the one we take for the non-immigrants(H1B, H4 etc..). But, he will forward you to the INS secondary(This is typically a lobby like room). Where you drop your passport with the AP in it. You will be called in order. Until then you will sit there in a chair. When the officer calles you, he may ask for the 485 receipt notice.

Note: If you can get to the INS secondary, with out waiting in line with other non-immigrants it is better. But, in SFO with the new airport those lanes are not so crowded nowadays.

2. What are the documents asked for?
I think AP, I485 receipt notice and passport is good enough. You may also carry your EAD and older H1B approvals, other receipts etc.. if you want to.

3. Do you get back your AP document?
Yes. I will be stamped and returned to you. The same document will be stamped every time you enter in to this country(until the AP is valid).

4. what is the stamping you get on I-94?
You get the regular I-94 stamp. But, it will have "indefinite" in the expiry date field. And AOS written in next line.

5. Any other things that I should know of
Be careful with the validity of the AP. You have to renew the AP if it is expiring soon. That is it :)

Have a safe trip :)

-csc485

Thanks csc_485

It\'s very useful information.
Besides all that, it\'s a good idea to bring pay stub and company letter.