Traveling to India with Advance Parole Please help

APBOY

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I like to know the pros and cons on traveling with Advance parole to india. My grandfather is not feeling well and need to visit him. I do have valid H1B visa, but not stamped on the passport. I have the AP in my hand and expecting EAD anytime. My questions are

1. Do i need EAD to come back to usa with AP.
2. Will there be any problems in coming back to USA on AP.
3. Shall i need to get my H1B visa stamped here or in india
to come back safely. Is there any risk in getting stamped
4. Do anyone know anyone who came across problems while entering USA on AP
5. Is it 100% safe traveling to india and come back on AP with H1B visa stamped.
6. What exactly they check at POE?
7. What happens if my GC got approved or got RFE when i was in india.

Please write me your experience with AP on traveling outside USA.

Gurus, please help me this is very important for me.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
What your WAC # initials?

1. AP should be suffiecient.
2 Should not be any problem.

4.. I travelled on AP many times without problem.
5. Only God can give 100% guarantee

6. They will ask you -- for your passport, AP and that should be sufficient. Its good if you carry your I-485 receipt notice, EVL from your employer and 3-4 recent pay slip, in case you need.
7. We need you WAC# initial for that to guess for your appoval

GCLenaHAi
WAC-02-099

AP Boy,

You need to chill out :D

Here are the answers in the order of your questions:

>> Well legally not required but you need SOME sort of work authorization.. either EAD or valid H1 work permit for a reason for you enter US.
My EAD was asked when I entered with AP in Dec, 2003

2. Will there be any problems in coming back to USA on AP.
>> None. They will send you to a room for secondary immigration check. Nothing much just give your papers, they will call you and ask to show EAD/AP/Passport. If everything is right, you will get a I-94 for one year from expiration of AP

3. Shall i need to get my H1B visa stamped here or in india
to come back safely. Is there any risk in getting stamped
>> If you have AP, you dont need to worry about H1B visa Stamp. But you get that in India faster than getting it here

4. Do anyone know anyone who came across problems while entering USA on AP
>> As I mentioned earlier, No probs what so ever as long as you have the above mentioned docs

5. Is it 100% safe traveling to india and come back on AP with H1B visa stamped.
>> H1B visa will make AP redundant. They both are valid docs for entering US

6. What exactly they check at POE?

>> There are the docs I took with me

a) Valid Passport :cool:
b) H1 work permit and/or EAD
c) Some paystubs ( 2 or 3 recent ones)
d) EVL
f) AP or H1B visa

(c and d) are just are supporting docs just in case they ask further questions in secondary immigration.

7. What happens if my GC got approved or got RFE when i was in india

a) If you GC gets approved in India, you will get a special note from the officer at POE and you need to go the local INS office for ADIT stamp soon

b) If you get RFE, you can answer it after coming back. Typically they give 90 days to respond.
I got RFE on Dec 11 while at India. I responded back on Jan 5 after I came back. Approved on Jan 14.

Wish you luck and enjoy your trip man :cool:

Regards,
Ram

i just came

I came back from india 10 days ago . my POE is Los Angeles.

They only asked for my AP and asked me who is my employer.

No furthur questions.

i think if you have always maintained legal status and have AP
every thing should be fine....
(every officer is different, so take other documents with you
too. just in case)

- Akram

Originally posted by Ram_CSC
>> Well legally not required but you need SOME sort of work authorization.. either EAD or valid H1 work permit for a reason for you enter US.
My EAD was asked when I entered with AP in Dec, 2003

Just one point of correction. NEITHER EAD nor H1 are required for re-entry to the US. The AP documentation clearly states that, it is the only paper work you require for travel. The only other paperwork you need is a valid passport.

A number of people never apply for EAD and their H1 has expired and they have filed for renewal, which takes 8 months, does that mean they cannot travel in that interim?

Questions for axm8606

thought AP required secondary inspection - isn't everyone being fped after Jan1. Thanks.

No FP

I went to the US citizen/ parole/GC line.

No finger printing, no face scan, no registration for me and no second inspection. it was jan 24, 2004.

( probably they have it in records, because i didthat when i
applied for I-485)

No questions, inspite of my islamic name. surprised!!

AP another q

while leaving USA,do we need to inform about AP status anywhere ?

Also while coming back,do we need to surrender original AP at
POE or just a copy is fine.

Does anybody have experience when boarding from chennai
, do they have know about AP ??

Thanks in advance..,.

I don't think you need to specify what visa you are on when you leave the country. The airline agents just take your I-94. I went to India last Oct. from Chicago to London through Cincinatti and the airline took the I-94 in Cincinatti. While coming back, I just told the airline agent in London that I was travelling on AP and he just took a look at it. Same in Chicago. The officer stamped the original AP and made a copy and returned the original to me. Nothing else was asked. But just to be on the safe side I have copies of my 485 receipt.

Venkayya,

Just search under AP and you will get all your answers instead of joining the queue for help, it would be very nice if you tried some self help first. It will save a lot of time and not to mention bandwidth!