Traveling to Canada...

belo

Registered Users (C)
I thought every one had to present a passport or RTD including people granted permanent residence to travel to Canada beginning jan 23,2007. I went to the state department website and found out that Green Card is also considered a valid ID. Therefore, if one has a Green Card they do not need to have a Passport with them to enter the united States from Mexico, Canada and or the Caribbean

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable

source: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

I read the same thing on CNN...

The only valid substitutes for a passport will be a NEXUS Air card, used by some American and Canadian frequent fliers; identification as a U.S. Coast Guard merchant mariner; and the green card carried by legal permanent residents. Active members of the U.S. military are exempt.
Source.. http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/01/23/new.passport.rules.ap/index.html

I guess the new rule does not really affect people with Green Card to enter the US from Mexico, Canada or Caribbean. :)

chapprn said:
Hey, With passport or without passport? Please explain for me. Greencard is fine.?

If you have a Green Card and you are entering the US from Mexico, Canada or Caribbean, you do not need a passport...

belo said:
If you have a Green Card and you are entering the US from Mexico, Canada or Caribbean, you do not need a passport...

Can you enter the Caribbean with just GC?

Andrew01 said:
Can you enter the Caribbean with just GC?

Not sure about that. You might have to call the specific Caribbean country embassy and ask them what their requirement is to enter their country. All I know is, coming back to the US from the Caribbean all you need is your Green Card. Passport is not required. Once you become a citizen then you are required to show your passport. Hope that helps..