Traveling to Canada - Expired passport

djb

Registered Users (C)
I am a US Citizen (country of birth - India) and my US passport expired on May 9th 2009. I shall be driving to Canada on Sunday and coming back to the US on Monday. I was wondering what document I can use at the border to re-enter the US (since my US passport has expired).

They are going to give you trouble at the border. Try to renew (if possible) your passport at a passport agency explaining that you are traveling on Sunday. I know this might not be possible. Otherwise try to drive with your naturalization certificate and driver license. However, I don't know how they are going to let you into Canada in the first place. You might have to change your traveling plan to Canada for a later date when you have a new US passport.

My 2 cents.

I am a US Citizen (country of birth - India) and my US passport expired on May 9th 2009. I shall be driving to Canada on Sunday and coming back to the US on Monday. I was wondering what document I can use at the border to re-enter the US (since my US passport has expired).

As of June 1, 2009 you are basically required to have either a valid U.S. passport or a valid U.S. passport card to cross the U.S.-Canada border by land. Things like birth certificates and other forms of proving U.S. citizenship that were formerly acceptable for crossing the border are no longer sufficient. There are a few other kinds of documents that are acceptable, such as enhanced driver's licences showing U.S. citizenship and approved by DHS (although I think very few states at the moment issue those). See more details at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

djb, Did you make the trip?

About a year before the Passport rule came into effect, a BP officer told me about the requirements for my US born daughter to have a passport when crossing the border. At the time, he told me she could continue to use the passport even after it expired, since the passport was proof enough that she was a US citizen.
That was years ago, I wonder how true that was. Since, (1) it became into effect for air travel first, (2) just became required this month to cross by land, and (3) it states in their website that children under 16 are not required to have a passport to cross - for them a Birth Certificate will suffice. I couldn’t believe it when I heard it from someone until I read it at the government website. They make it harder to comprehend the law when it doesn’t apply to all.

Since that encounter, my husband and I have become naturalized citizens. Our family is already set up w/ passports. Easier to travel, I think.

Just want to get informed, since many of our friends and family cross the border often.

I don't plan on flying out of the country within the next few years. So I don't have a good excuse to go through the expense. I'm only a couple of hours from the border, and I don't travel beyond the border towns, so there wouldn't be a need to fly back, in case of an emergency.