Traveling out of country (Canada or Mexico) for a day or two while N-400 is in progress

abc94536

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Is there any impact on the N-400 processing /interview approval if I make a quick day or two visit to Canada or Mexico?

My total out of country visit in last 5 years since I received my GC is <70 days.

I filed my N-400 earlier this month.

Thanks,

---
06/01/07: GC
03/10/12: N-400 mailed to Phoenix, AZ with Fedex (Day 1)
03/13/12: N-400 delivered
03/15/12: N-400 priority date
03/19/12: Personal Check cashed
03/19/12: NOA recvd
03/23/12: FP notice mailed
xx/xx/12: FP notice recvd
xx/xx/12: FP done
xx/xx/12: Online Status changed to "Testing and Interview"
xx/xx/12: IL recvd
xx/xx/12: Interview
xx/xx/12: Oath
xx/xx/12: PP application
xx/xx/12: PP received[/QUOTE]

No, no impact, as long as you're not out of the country on the day of your interview or oath!

Thanks. Can they ask in the interview if I travelled out of country since I submitted my n400?

They will ask, and you're required to tell the interviewer about all trips (of over 24 hours) you've taken outside the US since submitting the N-400, whether they ask or not. Also, at the oath you're required to inform them of trips you've taken after the interview.

Thanks, if its less than 24 hours, do we still need to disclose?

They will ask, and you're required to tell the interviewer about all trips (of over 24 hours) you've taken outside the US since submitting the N-400, whether they ask or not. Also, at the oath you're required to inform them of trips you've taken after the interview.

Thanks, if its less than 24 hours, do we still need to disclose?

If the trip is less than 24 hours, you do not need to disclose.

However, disclose all other trips regardless if the officer asks or not. You need to update your travel info on your N-400 during your interview!

If the trip is less than 24 hours, you do not need to disclose.

However, disclose all other trips regardless if the officer asks or not. You need to update your travel info on your N-400 during your interview!

Sorry, but I want to clear the confusion....

I didn't get the part of updating the N-400 during interview. Will the officer give our forms back to update during our interview? This anticipated trip is after my N-400 submission.

I am thinking - If I have to get into hassle of disclosing etc I would rather manage my trip in a day < 24hours and not disclose it - will it be ok??

Thanks again

Sorry, but I want to clear the confusion....

I didn't get the part of updating the N-400 during interview. Will the officer give our forms back to update during our interview? This anticipated trip is after my N-400 submission.

I am thinking - If I have to get into hassle of disclosing etc I would rather manage my trip in a day < 24hours and not disclose it - will it be ok??

Thanks again

If any fact that was listed on the N-400 has changed since you submitted it, you're supposed to inform the interviewer, whether it is trips you have taken, or you got married or divorced, or had a new child born, or you got arrested, or you changed your address.

It's not a hassle to tell the interviewer about new trips, it's a routine procedure they do in the interview. They go through each question line by line and ask you to confirm what is written and provide you with the opportunity to make changes or additions to each thing. Don't cut your trip below 24 hours because of this. Just tell them about the trip(s) when they're discussing the page with your travel history, and they will update the form.

Last edited by a moderator:
I applied my N400 and was out of the country for 2 months. That been said, you DO need to tell that to the IO. He or She well calculate those days and recalculate the trip total.

So the trip you take would count towards your residency requirement.

Just my 2 cents. :eek:)

I applied my N400 and was out of the country for 2 months. That been said, you DO need to tell that to the IO. He or She well calculate those days and recalculate the trip total.

So the trip you take would count towards your residency requirement.

Just my 2 cents. :eek:)

I do plan to take vacation and think that should be OK. If asked, I'm not hiding but might go for a trip for a week or so. Nothing wrong with that, right?

I do plan to take vacation and think that should be OK. If asked, I'm not hiding but might go for a trip for a week or so. Nothing wrong with that, right?

Nothing wrong at all. Just let the officer at the interview know about the trip(s) you took after you submitted your N400.