Travel without GC stamp

mcpost

Registered Users (C)
My passport is currently pending renewal, and because of some procedural change, the wait is more than 5 months now. I have an AP that is valid until end of the year.

Due to some personal reason, I'd like to travel home as soon as possible for a few weeks and with an emergency document (from my home country), I am able to collect my passport back home.

My GC was just approved, but without a passport, I will not be able to get the stamp. I'm wondering if I can use the AP to re-enter US and get the stamp after that?

Anyone has similar experience?

Thanks.

excuse me for asking this, but why can't you renew your passport here in US by visiting your home country's consulate/embassy.

Which country are u from? If from India, why renewal would take 5 months? I think they give it in a day or two.

If you can collect your passport back home and have a valid AP, you could probably enter using AP. But you should consult your lawyer.

Yet another wait...

To answer the questions, I'm not from India. I did apply from the embassy here and it is pending.

I called my lawyer and was told that as long as I don't have a stamp, the Adjustment of Status is not in effect yet, hence, I can still enter using AP. This seems contradicting the majority of the answers I found online so far. I'll try calling BCIS to see if I can get some sort of confirmation there.

I thought the wait is over once my GC is approved. Guess not...