Travel with AP

485F1

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have three questions regarding Travel with Advance Parole :

I got my Advance Parole : Two copies with photographs and one without photograph. It is written on Advance Parole that " VALID FOR MULTIPLE APPLICATIONS ...."

My questions:

(1) Is the Advance Parole valid for Multiple Entries ( the way stamped H1 visa works) ?

(2) What copies to be given to whom (INS/Transportation line etc) ?

(3) Who will collect my old I-94s and where ?

Thanks,

Even i have the same questions

Please share.. Guys who have used Advance Parole.

Answering your questions

Hello 485F1,

I typed a big message for you guys yesterday and could not post it. Hopefully I would be able to post it completely today. I just came back from my India trip using my AP. I will answer your 3 question first.

The old I-94 is usually retained by airline agent at the time of issuing your boarding pass at the ticket counter. Sometimes the agent just staples it to the boarding pass and is retained by the air line agent at the gate. In my case thats what happened.

Now to answer your first question, yes your AP is valid for multiple entries duing the period of its validity.

Just like you I also had three copies of them two with the photos and one without the the photo. I made copies of one of the AP with the photo and kept it with just in case if the airline in India ask for a proof of my visa or any other document. I came via (Hyderabad, KL, Hong Kong and LAX) none of the places during the transition asked me show the AP or any other supporting document other than my valid passport. Same thing in my wifes case who boarded the flight in Bombay a week later.

You do have to fill I-94 form before you stand in the line at the immigration in the POE. Where they ask for visa issue date and place leave them blank.

In my case i stood in the line(regular non us citizens line) and the lady referred me to another line which handles AP cases. I went to this guy, who asked me politely "whether I happen to have my EAD with me" nothing else. He stamped on the right hand box and in the passport and on the I-94 reflecting the AOS status. Wanted to keep the original of the AP and giving me the copy. I said my lawyer wanted me to retain the original copy and he obliged and kept the copy and gave me the original. In my wife\'s case the officer kept the original and gave her a copy.

I dont think it matters as we all have an extra AP any way if we were to travel again in the same year(what are the chances of that happening). After one year we get new set of AP and EAD anyway. Better yet,hopefully we will all have our GCs by the time there is a need to travel to our respective homelands.

Hope I was able to answer all your questions. If you have any more questions let me know. Bye the way I am not a lawyer, I just am telling you all this based my experiences. Every experience is unique, so please take suggestions from your lawyer.

Cheers
kalyan

No Title

Thank for the Info. Please correct me if i am wrong. With the 3 documents in u r hand u started in Hyd. Then in New York you gave one to immigration officer and u r left out with 1 doc with photo and another doc with no photo. Is that right

I came with all three of them

NYGC,

After all said and done, I now have all three of them with me, one with the photograph and the stamp by the immigration officer at the POE and one with the photograph without the stamp. One with no photo and no stamp. The officer took a copy of the one with the stamp.

Not to confuse you, but at the same POE (LAX) a week later my wife came home with, one with the photograph and no stamp, one with no photograph and no stamp and copy of the stamped one, so this time the officer retained the original of the stamped AP.

Hope I did not confuse any further....

Cheers
Kalyan

Kalyank, Did you show EAD when the officer asked you?

Do you know what happens if you don\'t have EAD?

Yes I did!!

WaitmyGC,

Yes, I did show the officer my EAD and I am sorry that I dont know what happens when you dont show your EAD card. If I had to guess the officer might ask for some other extra documentation. Mind you the situation depends on why you could not show your EAD!! is it that you forgot to bring it? or you dont have it (Like lost it) or you did not apply for it? So in short I sure dont know what happens!!

Cheers
kalyan

Check with your lawyer

Alien_labour,

I would definitely check with the lawyer. If you were to ask for my opinion, I will say you dont have to, and if the officer asks for it while coming back you can say she is my dependent and is not working hence we did not apply for EAD and waiting for AOS.

I am assuming both of you have separate Valid APs. Sorry the message was not clear.

Hope this helps

Cheers
kalyan

Thanks Kalyan for the prompt clarification. Yes, we have 2 seperate APs...

Now a days I heard for travel we don\'t need transit visa for a country through which we travel, if we have valid US visa. What about if the visa is expired and we are on AOS status??