Travel with Advance Parole – How safe is it?

suresh_colo

Registered Users (C)
Friends,

I need your advice and personal experiences on this.

I was supposed to go home for the holidays (since I was expecting to have my gc by then).
I decided to postpone my trip to March since I realized that due to the freeze it was not going to happen (approval) and because I was too scared to travel on Advance Parole.

I changed my ticket to March 19 (after paying a penalty fee of $240) and as the freeze continues I’m afraid I won’t have my gc by then…

Should I just go ahead and travel? ( If I postpone my trip again I will again pay a penalty fee of at least $200)
How safe is it to travel on Advance Parole? (my H1B expired last November).

Are the immigration jerks at the airport going to give me shit upon arrival?

Could you please post your personal experiences when coming back to the country using Advance Parole?

Thanks!

my experience using AP

My experience was very smooth at the port of entry, airport etc.., No questions were asked. As long as you have been in status since your entered US, you should be fine. Also you need to carry the original documents of AP, EAD, 485 receipts and copies of the same and never surrender the original copies of the APs. In my case they stamped "AOS" on my AP and returned to me.

Good Luck and have fun with your vacation!

Regards
-Mog

Note: This is just my personal experience and not a legal advise.

I returned from India in October using AP. You will be asked to go for secondary inspection.Everything went fine.It is better to carry your 485 receipt and EAD along with your AP.

my experience

I entered using my AP last time and it was very straight forward. I went directly to the supervisor and he stamped my
AP ... no questions asked... kept one copy for himself while stamping and giving me the other AP copy...

I was in and out within 3-4 minutes...

(do carry 485 receipt and EAD just in case)

No problem, using AP. Was out in 5 minutes, they stamp your passport and the AP and then you are out on your way. Everybody including staff at transit airports know about AP, so you should not have a problem. My experience was during the week of Christmas when i came back from my vacation.

If your only worry is travelling using an AP, then rest assured that things will/should be smooth. I was adviced to carry my EAD and I-485 Receipt with me (although nobody bothered to check those).

xiu_123,

I had 3 original AP's and they stamped one and gave me all the 3 back ( i was under the assumption that they had taken a copy, but that was not the case when i checked up after you posted your question ).

I used AP and came in thru Chicago airport. Experienced no problems. No questions asked. Except for "How was your vaccation?". Was out in less than 5 min. Need to carry original AP. I did not carry EAD. Had only a copy of 485 receipt.

use advance parole to travel

My wife used advance parole recently to come back from India recently. Nothing was asked other than what state the GC process was. Officer took her to a cabin stamped the AP and gave it back along with I-94. Did not carry anything else with her.

Hi,

I heared that it is better to use H4 Visa (unexpired) in case of travel to India ? during I-485 process.

Is there any limit on the period of stay if going on Advance payrole to India. ?

When dependent goes on Advance payrole to India. In case of approval . Is there any problem while stamping GC

i have a question, when u use AP to travel do we need our original i-94 also, the one they issue when u first come in. i have lost mine.

I used AP twice at chiago airport to re-enter..no problems...although first time they asked the sponsoring company and asked me company ID which I showed...now my question is if I switch job..do I need to reapply for AP...this friggn freeze..

Hi,

My wife's H4 expires May 2003. I got my Green Card, now she wants to go to India in July 2003. Is it ok if she travels with the ADVANCE PAROLE.

The Visa in the Passport will be expired by that time and she will have no visa. She only has her EAD and Advance Parole...

Is it safe for her to go and come back?

Thanks in Advance...

Sajan