Travel when no I485 approval - advice needed

shelfd

Registered Users (C)
I plan on a trip to China for about a month.

I have a current AP/EAD and an approved I140(according to on-line message 2/2005, no paper notice yet). Our I140/485 is a concurrent filing in 2/2004 and we are waiting for I485 approval.

I have a few questions:

1. Is this a good time to travel while we are waiting for adjustment of status?

2. Should we bring paper approval notice of I140 with us? In case we lost paper approval in the mail, can we still travel to China and back without any issues?

3. In addition to instructions together with AP approval notice, what other documents we need to bring with us for the travel?

4. Any other things we need be aware of? Because this is the first time we plan to travel abroad so any suggestions will be appreciated.

5. IF we receive I485 approval right before our trip, if we have not appeared in district office interview for a month (our trip is a month), will we have any troubles? In other words, once you have I485 approval notice, within what time frame you should go to district office interview? Is there anything like an expiration date?

I'd appreciate it very much if you could give us a reply at your convenience.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, just having your AP should be enough for travel. As long as your 140/485 petitions are not rejected in the time that you are out of the US, your AP should grant you the rights to come back.

My wife travelled with Just her AP alone and had no problems when she came back to dallas.

If your 485 is approved when you are out of the country, it should still not be a problem. There are other posts in this forum regarding 485 approval when the person is out of the country you should read those too.. I have heard that if you get the 485 approved when you are out of the country, you can get the passport stamped when you come back itself, just check the other posts..

If you get your 485 approved, you will have to make an infopass appointment to get the passport stamped. There is no interview needed. This process is almost an administravtive process.

As things stand, you will only be able to make infopass appointments for a date that is 2 weeks away