Travel using AP through Frankfurt. Please help.

kmysore02

Registered Users (C)
I will be travelling to Russia using AP in Lufthansa by next week. I have to change the plane in Frankfurt. Earlier I have read on this forum that one may require a transit German visa. I obviously don't have much time to get transit visa. Please give suggestions. Thank you.

Transit visa is required if your US visa is not valid and have passport from certain countries like India...........

So check German consulate website.

I called Lufthansa and they told me I don't need transit visa. Anyone with same experience please post.

kmysore02, while enquiring did you tell the airlines staff that you do not have a valid visa and will be using AP.

If still they say it is not needed e-mail them and get the answer in writing, take it with you while travelling. You can always show the proof if they question you at Frankfurt.

Also, please post here if you finally got transit visa or not as my spouse will be travelling in Sept. through Frankfurt.

Thanks
sgi

Hi sgi,

I told them that I don't have a valid U.S. visa and have AP. They said its fine as long as I have a visa to go to Russia. I will take your suggestion and will try to get an email confirmation from them. Thank you.

Originally posted by kmysore02
Hi sgi,

I told them that I don't have a valid U.S. visa and have AP. They said its fine as long as I have a visa to go to Russia. I will take your suggestion and will try to get an email confirmation from them. Thank you.

You don't need German transit visa to go to Russia since you have valid Russia visa. Did you check that you don't need German transit visa to come back to USA through Frankfurt.

Edison's point is very valid. Since you don;t have a valid US visa you will need a transit visa at least for your return trip. At least that is what I understood from reading the information available on the German embassy's website.

BTW: are you from my beautiful hometown - Mysore?

kmysore02, Edison does make a valid point here, you may need transit visa while returning to US.

So get it clarified in writing from them by clearly explaining your visa status for leaving and returning to US.

sgi

Originally posted by kmysore02
I will be travelling to Russia using AP in Lufthansa by next week. I have to change the plane in Frankfurt. Earlier I have read on this forum that one may require a transit German visa. I obviously don't have much time to get transit visa. Please give suggestions. Thank you.

I don't know about transit visas, but Germans are very good about visas, very easy to get. They have consulates all over the place. You'll only see russians there :)
Even consul spoke a little russian . .
I am also russian and i went there (Boston consulate) about 6 months ago to get visitor's visa. All they want is your bank statement, after that the conversation turns into friendly and you can chat just about anything. They are not very busy at all. I went there too early (russians are used to having to get to the consulate at 6AM and stand in a long line fighting police officers for a few hours before getting in the building). Their office is in the mall (!) and the only other person i met there was russian :)

Consul told me to pick up passport the next day or he offered mailing it back to my house. I needed it fast so i picked it up next day. This time i was there late and was still the first one.

So, if you really need one it will not be a problem. But i think you don't need one anyway.

Thankyou very much for all your comments and concerns. Just to be safe I just applied for German transit visa. I hope I will get it by next Wednesday.

I read my advance parole carefully. Technically we don't need transit visa as long as the airline personnel can understand English!! Following is what that is written in the very first sentence of the AP.

"Presentation of this document will authorize a transportation line to accept the named bearer on board for travel to the United States without liability under section 273 of the Immigration and Nationality Act for bringing an alien who does not have a visa".

Just to be safe I just applied for German transit visa. I hope I will get it by next Wednesday.

kmysore02, did you apply through mail read in the site that it is a one day affair if one goes in person. Please clarify.

What documents did you send?

I too need to apply for my spouse so asking.

sgi, I know it might take only one day if you go in person. The closest place I can go is Houston and it is 6-7 hrs drive from my place.

Documents need to be sent are in the Consulate website. This may vary depending on which consulate you apply. I sent 2 color photographs, passport, copy of ticket and itenerary, copy of Russian visa, copy of AP, copy of I-140 and I-485 receipts and a money order for $30. I hope this information helps.

Thanks kmysore02, that helps. Will calrify from the consulate before I apply for the transit visa.

Thanks again

sgi

I had travelled thru frankfurt using AP last year. The UAL folks gave us hard time. As the visa was expired in the passport they couldnt beleive the fact that we can extend the visas in US. But we had all the old visa extension (J1) docs to prove that all are legal. They agreed after an hour. So, just make sure you take all docs with you to prove that you are legally in US.

I had sent an email inquiry about transit visa to the German Consulate. Following is the response I got from the German Consulate. Looks like we don't need transit visa. I decided not to apply for one as it takes more than 2 weeks by mail. I hope this information will help others travelling through Germany with AP.

"Your authorization of parole is like a US visa. It is your permission to enter the US and you should not have any problems on your return. However from previous experiences flight from Russia via Germany to the US usually have an overnight stay. If that is the case you will need a B-transit visa. Processing time will be about one week if you apply in person and abt. 2 weeks if you mail it in, in both cases given that all documents are complete. For further questions please call 713-572-9090".

No, you do not need a transit visa with a VALID authorization of parole.

Sincerely,
Visa Dept.

Airport Transit

FYI,
When I flew to India and back in April, I obtained a transit visa from the consulate in NY after I received conflicting information from NYC consulate and Chennai consulate. However, when I went there again to get a regular tourist visa to Schengen countries (my port of entry into Schengen region was Frankfurt), I was asked to go to the destination coutry's consualte. But when I asked if I needed a transit visa also, the lady showed me an internal memo from the Vice Consul that had a portion highlighted. Since it was in German, she translated it to me. It said that Indian passport holders with a valid AP do not require an airport transit visa for change of planes. I don't know if this applies to any overnight stay at the airport since that would usually fall under "short stay" category even though you may choose to remain in the transit area.