Travel to US while waiting for green card interview with Consulate

high009

Registered Users (C)
My parents are waiting for green card interview with Consulate general Islamabad but they also have visitor visa issue last year. is it safe to travel on visit visa while their case is in process at consulate?

No

My parents are waiting for green card interview with Consulate general Islamabad but they also have visitor visa issue last year. is it safe to travel on visit visa while their case is in process at consulate?

No, it is not. They have immigrant intent. They can be deported if they try to enter the US on a visitor visa.

There is a common prevailing notion that applying for any other visas (particularly visitor’s visa) hurts while an immigrant visa is under process.

I usually don’t voice my opinion here but thought I would share my experience.
I was in a somewhat similar situation. Was in the states on H1B, applied for an immigrant visa and then moved to Toronto when my H1B expired after 6 years. While my immigrant visa was in process I needed to go to the states time to time but was afraid to apply for a visitor’s visa as almost every one asked me not to and even my US lawyer said that it wasn’t a good idea.

I went ahead anyways as logically it didn’t make much sense to me and got a 10 yr multiple entry B1B2 which meant that I could not only go to the states to visit but I could go there on official purpose as well.

And after that they gave my wife and son 10 yr B1B2 as well.

And despite of all that I got my immigrant visa (green card) stamped last month. Every visa officer I have spoken to, told me that it doesn’t matter and just like in your case people may want to visit the country time to time.

I know that many people may ask you not to do that (just like they asked me not to) and although I am not a certified lawyer if I were you I would go ahead and apply for a visitor’s visa.

Thanks

Sudipta

Question on travelling on visitoe visa after I-130 approval

Hi
My question is quite similar to above one. My parents have 10 year multiple entry visa. Recently their I-130 have been approved and I got a notification that NVC will contact within 4/6 weeks for next step. I was searching for an answer if they still can avail their visitors visa and then continue the next process from here.
I have read some FAQ in this site where mentioned that their visa can be denied, because of their immigrant intent. I understand all depend on immigration officer's discretion. But does it really happen for usual folks?

-S

I have a similar question. My inlaws have a multiple entry visitors visa that is valid for a few more years. My wife, who is a US citizen has recently filed their I-130 which has been received by USCIS but has not gotten to the Country for processing. I understand that it takes upto 2 years for the I-130 to get to the counsilur processing?

Is it safe for them to come and visit us in the interim using their visitor visa?

Last edited by a moderator:
Started a new thread for a similar situation

especially when the GC process is a lont-term i.e for brother/sister of USC. one needs to come to the US for business purposes and at the same time having filed for GC is a hanging sword...

clarification is definitely lacking in this matter.

shri g

I have somewhat a similar question.
My parents were sponsored by Sister and they had their interview and my mother got the paper to come to us but for my father they said they have to wait for administrative process(name check).

Now my mother has to be in US by end early Nov otherwise her papers expire. My father has a 5 year US visitor that is still good. Can he travel on that with my mother and wait in US untill the name check is complete?
Anyone in a similar situation?

I have somewhat a similar question.
My parents were sponsored by Sister and they had their interview and my mother got the paper to come to us but for my father they said they have to wait for administrative process(name check).

Now my mother has to be in US by end early Nov otherwise her papers expire. My father has a 5 year US visitor that is still good. Can he travel on that with my mother and wait in US untill the name check is complete?
Anyone in a similar situation?

There is a significant risk that he will be denied entry when he lands in the US. (CBP Officer at PoE will see that your mother is immigrating, and make the conclusion that your father has immigrant intent also.)