Travel to US for a job interview

dell11

Not sure if this message has been posted before but want to know the current situation.

Is it possible to fly to Texas from Calgary for a job interview? do i need to have a covid test done before i board both ways?

Really appreciate any response that i would get.

Not sure if this message has been posted before but want to know the current situation.

Is it possible to fly to Texas from Calgary for a job interview? do i need to have a covid test done before i board both ways?

Really appreciate any response that i would get.
Covid test is a MUST for all international flights-both ways.

US CBP will allow you to fly to US but while coming back to Canada,you will have to stay in hotel for 3 days on your own expense and need to quarantine.

Thanks for the response. The quarantine appears to be a concern. I might have to hold up for sometime.

Is the quarantine rule supposed to go away at the end of April ?

The quarantine requirements were supposed to be only until the end of April. It seems like it is going to get extended due to rise of cases.

The quarantine requirements were supposed to be only until the end of April. It seems like it is going to get extended due to rise of cases.
I'm hoping the quarantine requirements are lifted soon. I haven't been able to visit any family since they went into place with the risk of being forced to a government hotel facility. Hopefully, Canada gets stuff under control so they can lift these requirements soon!

Obviously, there will be no end to border travel restrictions anytime soon. It is a little simpler to drive to US and then fly within US, coming back by land. However US border might not let you in simply for an interview (which can of course be conducted on Zoom). Once you get the job, you would have no problem getting into US. US doesn't require test or vaccine to cross by land. Canada requires (and will continue to for a while) a pre-re-entry test, as well as one at the border and a week later. But no hotel stay if crossed by land.

Am I not allowed to travel to the US for a job interview? Off course , if I get the job then I will apply for a work permit and then enter with proper paper work for my start date.

I am currently employed so have to return to my back to work in Canada so i am simply going for an interview. The position doesn't support remote or internet based hiring.

Am I not allowed to travel to the US for a job interview? Off course , if I get the job then I will apply for a work permit and then enter with proper paper work for my start date.

I am currently employed so have to return to my back to work in Canada so i am simply going for an interview. The position doesn't support remote or internet based hiring.
Yes, you are allowed to travel to the US for a job interview. When CBP ask for purpose of visit, explain the situation.
Pre-covid, cira 2015, my potential employer payed airfare, hotel for one night, rental car, meals, and I flew in Sunday, from Toronto YYZ to Los Angeles, LAX, drove around the area, checking out the new neighbourhood. I had and interview on Monday morning and flew out back to YYZ on Monday night.
Now that we have these Covid tests required both ways, and quarantine on your return to Canada it is more complicated. Make sure you do your research, and please post your experience after your interview, for the benefit of others on this forum.

By air, one would be allowed to go for interview, or anything else (there have never been any restrictions on travel TO US by air for any reason. But not necessarily by land (after all you can fly to Florida, but you can't drive there) . But by land, you avoid testing going down, and quarantining coming back.

The challenge i hear is on my return to Canada which requires a strict quarantine. Based on the comments here, I will have drop my job search for some more time.
I can't take two weeks off work to stay at home, not to mention staying at a hotel for 3 days and its associated cost. I would have to do at least 3 or 4 job interviews before i can get a job.
I hope the border opens soon. The restrictions are causing a great deal of grief to the general public.

why doesn't your potential employer simply conduct an online interview, Ironically, should you go to a physical interview, I would bet that at least one of the main interviewers will not even be physically present and will be teleconferencing wih you. So why make you have the hassle?

I agree with you, it saves a lot of time and grief (atleast during covid) for me.

Unfortunately, I work in a chemical plant where all the stuff is done through co-ordination. We don't even have a work from home policy at my job. We were designated an essential business so we kept going to work through out the year in 2020.

I am in a line of work that doesn't support it. However, I think it is good for me to go to site as well, I can see the supervisor and peers that i work with in person and they get to see me which does help on the "good fit" side of things.

The issue really is the quarantine rule.

The quarantine rule only applies for the length of time you stay in canada. If you return to Canada, and 5 days later your leave, that's how long your quarantine, You do not have to wait 14 days before leaving country.

Not sure , about the current environment.

Is it possible to go to US for a job interview as of July 10th ?

The land border is still closed to non-essential travel which is the path i was hoping to take to catch a flight.