Travel to Ireland on RTDq

vdostoi1

Volunteer Moderator
Folks,
Any recent experiences of traveling to Ireland on RTD? How knowledgable are the Irish immigration officials about the RTD? I know we do not need a visa to go there if using RTD, but just wanted to verify using this forum. The crazy Irish embassy requires you to pay $3 per minute to use their 1-900 line to obtain visa information. Thanks.

uk consulate

Folks,
Any recent experiences of traveling to Ireland on RTD? How knowledgable are the Irish immigration officials about the RTD? I know we do not need a visa to go there if using RTD, but just wanted to verify using this forum. The crazy Irish embassy requires you to pay $3 per minute to use their 1-900 line to obtain visa information. Thanks.

you have to apply for the visa at any UK consulate, usually you get the visa the same day

ok here is the deal....

I love how people who know nothing about the subject post replies with full confidence as if they have a law degree...

Holders of US issued RTD do not require a visa to enter the republic of Ireland. they do need a visa to enter the United Kingdome (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)

HOWEVER The republic of Ireland and the United Kingdome have what they call the FREE TRAVEL AREA. what the FTA is, is a mini schengen area. it means that travelers between Ireland and the UK do not go through passport/immigration control and flights between the two countries are considered domestic.

Soooo.. if you enter Ireland with your RTD (without a visa) and you take a flight from say Dublin to London, then since there is no passport control you will be fine. (kindof like flying to Frankfurt on RTD with no visa then catching a train or flight to Paris)

Questions?

I love how people who know nothing about the subject post replies with full confidence as if they have a law degree...

Holders of US issued RTD do not require a visa to enter the republic of Ireland. they do need a visa to enter the United Kingdome (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)

HOWEVER The republic of Ireland and the United Kingdome have what they call the FREE TRAVEL AREA. what the FTA is, is a mini schengen area. it means that travelers between Ireland and the UK do not go through passport/immigration control and flights between the two countries are considered domestic.

Soooo.. if you enter Ireland with your RTD (without a visa) and you take a flight from say Dublin to London, then since there is no passport control you will be fine. (kindof like flying to Frankfurt on RTD with no visa then catching a train or flight to Paris)

Questions?

Thanks for the clarifications. So is this written somewhere that u dont need a visa for IReland ? Show us so anyone who travels can carry it with them.

Questions?

kifak ya zalami, mabsoot

Well, I just emailed the Irish embassy in Washington and the Irish consulate in San Francisco, and, I'm sorry to say, we apparently DO require a visa for the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND when traveling on a RTD. I even told them that I am a US permanent resident (as well as a Dutch resident). There go our hopes and dreams...