Travel To India

LIN02085

Registered Users (C)
Can anybody run thru or point me to list of documents/Experience while travelling to India on Advance Parole recently.

Some of my question are;

1. What documents do I need to carry? I am working on EAD and have AP. I am assuming recent pay stubs, EAD cards, copies of the 1-485 application and of course AP.

2. Do I need a letter from my Company?

3. What will happen if I am approved while I am out of USA? Not that it would happen, but being a little optimist as RD/N.D is 01-10-02. (2 year club).

4. Do I submit the last 1-94 I got when I entered USA or the I-94 attached to my expired h-1B notice, which I got extended being in USA?

5. Did Anyone have experiences with the new POE procedures (Photo and fingure printing).?

Anything else I may be missing.

AP Travel

Infact my situation is same as yours. I came back only few days back from India. Technically they just need Advance parole document and there will be no other documents needed apart from passport. Mine was smooth exp and was out in 15 minutes. But if they want they can ask anything. I had all the papers which you wrote like company letter , paystubs etc. It is better to carry. About returning I-94 just give them all I94s including the one which is attached to your renewed h1b paper. They don't take photo or fingerprint for Advance parole people.

Hope this helps

One suggestion

Carry a couple of photocopies of your AP. I read on this forum somewhere, that sometimes they need a copy while exiting India. If you have a copy they accept it. If not, you *have* to submit an original. Again, this is not my personal experience, just read on this forum sometime back.

I got back from India 3 weeks ago thru Atlanta. We had absolutely no problem except for a 30min wait.
No FP required for advance parolees. They did not ask for any other documents.
Note: Most European countries require people on AP to have a transit visa.

Looks like you are pretty close for approval..
My RD was : 04/10/2002
When i tried to go to India last Dec (2003), my lawyer advised me not to do so since i was close for approval. I was also in the same position as yours means i was on EAD and AP. After my lawyer's advice, i did some research on this topic and dropped my plans..My I485 was approved on Jan 14/2004. Here is what i found and this just my personal openion/research only..Just FYI.

"If a person presents a valid AP at a US port of entry, and her/his I-485 was approved while s/he was out of the country, the person will be admitted on the basis of 'deferred inspection'. However, the mere possession of a valid AP does not confer any special rights on the holder. S/he will still be processed as an 'arriving alien' and as such, officers at the port of entry can turn back arriving aliens without elaborate due process. This can happen for various reasons including the omnibus provision of homeland security.

So, in essence, while there is a provision in the existing rules that is supposed to cover the possibility of someone's I-485 being approved while the applicant is out of the US, there is not much one can resort to if that rule is not applied by the inspector at the port of entry for whatever reason, including ignorance"

For more info, please refer to this link:
http://www.murthy.com/ukpbadpl.html

Thanks