Travel to India, Thru Paris on AP

jksongc

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Myself and my wife are planning to travel to India through Paris on Advance Parole. We are travelling to India in Sept/Oct from Houston to Hyderabad via Paris and back.

Do we need a visa to transit through Paris, if we are not going out of the airport and our stopover is just 2 hours?

Thank You,

JKSONGC

probably yes

While ransferring from US plane to Indian plane they dont check. While transferring from Indian plane to US bound plane they do check. However, if you have candian PR, you ar exempt from it.

We travelled last Dec/Jan by Air France through Paris withoout a transit visa. We were on AP and did not have any problems. If you call the french consulate they would say that you need the visa. in fact, i called the boston consulate and they said that strictly you dont need it but they dont have any documentation about AP, so they suggest that you get the visa.
Also, if you search the VSC forum, there was a scanned letter posted there from the atlanta frenh consulate which said that people with AP don't need a transit visa.

So if you want to be really safe you can get it, but there wasn't any problem when we travelled. we showed the AP and they accepted it.

I just called Air-India and they say the transit visa only applies to London and is not required for Paris or Frankfurt....

skris

Transit

MAN!! This is such a unclear and mixed openized matter. If you call Embassy almost all european countries (German, France, England, Netharland) will say yes, you do need a visa.

I even have a e-mail from Chicago, German consulate where they mentioned clearly " I need visa."

I would get VISA to be on the safe side. It is much much easier to get visa from here before travel than got stuck at airport in a european country. This will cost way more than the VISA cost.

I planned my trip thru frankfort, because German Transit visa cost only $13 whereas all others about $60.

One more point to add to the confusion,

If you dont have the physical Green Card(plastic card), you still need the visa. Apparently the transit checkers are not happy with only the I551 stamp in your passport. (confirmed by Travel Agent + Air India rep)

So one needs to have either a valid Visa in the passport or the physical GC on hand.

So I would agree with the last post, $13 is worth it if flying via Germany...

Transit Visa NOT needed via Paris

Hi Folks,
My wife had travelled on Air-France from Atlanta to Mumbai ( 4 weeks ago),and in-fact she returned lastweek.She had H4(which was expiring 4days after her return journey).And also had approved AP.

She did not have any issues with transit visa.

transit visa

i have travelled via Paris, Frankfurt and Amsterdam without a transit visa in the past several years. but i understanding visa requirement changes often.

Transit Visa Required according the French Embassy

This is just too damn confusing. I looked up the website of the French Embassy in Chicago and it says that a Transit Visa is required. And it specifically mentions that you cannot get an exemption for an AP.

abhi485,

Did you wife enter the US on her AP or her H4?

Text from French Embassy Website

This information is posted on the Chicago French Embassy website !

--------------------------------------------

Visa Section of the Consulate General of France in Chicago

205 N. Michigan Avenue - Suite 3760 - Chicago, IL 60601
Email : visas@consulfrance-chicago.org

AIRPORT TRANSIT VISA REQUIREMENTS

You are required to apply for an airport transit visa to go through France if you are a citizen of the following countries: Afghanistan, Albania, Angola, Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Congo (Ex-Zaïre), Erythrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Haïti, India, Iran, Irak, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Libya, Mali, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestinian refugee, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Sri-Lanka, Senegal, Syria.

Exception #1

You do NOT need an airport transit visa if you comply with all the following conditions :
- you hold a valid passport of one of the above listed countries
- you have a valid U.S. Green Card or a valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card, or are a permanent resident of the European Economic Area
- you hold a confirmed plane ticket to an onward country outside of Europe

- you will not be going out of the international area of the airport in France

Exception #2

You do NOT need an airport transit visa if, in addition to a valid passport of Burkina Faso, Cameroon, India, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Mali, Senegal or Syria, you also have a valid U.S. visa glued in your passport which will guarantee your re-admission in the U.S. upon return from your trip (note that it only applies to actual US Visas, not to the I-20, I-94 or advanced parole or any other attachment).

* Required documents to apply for the airport transit visa:

1. Passport valid for at least three months after your departure from France. Make sure your passport has blank pages left to affix the visa + 1 copy
2. Processing fee
3. One short-stay application forms (N°64/VI) fully filled out and signed
4. One passport-size photograph glued onto the form
5. Proof of legal status in the US (visa, I-20, I-94, IAP66, advanced parole, etc) + 1 copy
6. Plane ticket or e-ticket or airline invoice + 1 copy

* To apply by mail, please also provide:

- an "Express Mail" pre-stamped self addressed envelope, to be purchased from the United States Postal Service (Post Office). Note that we do not accept return envelopes, even prepaid, from couriers like FedEx or UPS,
- a filled out form for payment of the processing fee (Visa or Mastercard only).

* Important note

The airport transit visa is only valid to transit through the airport and is only valid for France. It does not allow entry onto the Schengen territory and it does not enable its holder to go out of the airport. Airport transit visas are usually processed within 24 hours if applying in person, within 1 week if applying by mail.

All original documents will be returned to you.
All incomplete files will be returned to you without being processed.
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant. Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.

Last update, August 27, 2004

---------------------------------------------------------

rs74 said:
Do you need transit visa for France if you have H1B or H4 stamped on your passport ?

As long the H1B/H4 Visa stamp is still valid, you do not need a Transit Visa.

rg585 is correct...

As long as someone is holding a valid US visa,NO NEED FOR TRANSIT VISA via PARIS!!!!!!!!!

rg585,
My wife cameback using her H4(which was ending in 4 days).But her I-94 was given only for 4 days in Atlanta POE. now she's using her AOS/EAD.

Abhi

2 visas Or 1?

So lets say if I need a transit while going to India and coming back to US, Do i need to get separate transit visas for both directions with separate fees? Or is it just 1 application that supports both ways by 1 time of fee?