Travel to India after PP Stamping

485atvermont

Registered Users (C)
I am waiting for plastic card. I don't know how long will it take to get it. But mean time I am planning to go to India for 4-5 months.
Currently my PP has GC stamping for one year which is valid for another 8 months.

So what kind of documents do I need to carry?

Thanks

Traveling is not a problem

I got my passport stamped on July 16th (my case was approved on June 13th). Like you I am still waiting for the plastic card. I just returned from India after a 3-week vacation.

You might encounter the following minor issues only on the way back from India:

1) You might have to explain to the immigration officer in India that the stamp on the passport means that your Green Card has been approved but you still have not received the plastic card since it takes 4 - 6 months.

2) After landing in US you are very likely to be sent to secondary inspection by the immigration officer. This happened to me. The secondary inspection should take maximum 30 minutes (could vary depending on the number of people before you). The BCIS officer at the secondary inspection room would check in his computer (he probably has more access to the database) your I-485 case number and would then let you go.

If you have the plastic card then it is smooth sailing all the way.

about the documents needed...

1) Passport with temporary GC stamp on it
2) Copy of your I-485 approval notice
3) Your latest pay-stub from your sponsoring employer
4) Your Social Security Card without the "permitted to work with INS authorization only" logo on it

Items 2, 3 and 4 were not asked in my case but I had them with me just in case.

Regarding the SSN, It does not change. The SSN card will still say
' Work with INS authorization only' . That's what they told me
when I went to SSN office after my stamping for updating my status.

485atvermont

I just got back from India on Stamp
It was very smooth ...At Delhi, the immigration person asked me about the card, I said I am waiting for it.....that's it....

At POE it was really smooth (Detroit)
No secondary inspection, just the standard question, how long I have been out.

I did not face any problem atall....and I got back last Sunday..so it is a very recent experience

Thanks Jaic for your response.

gcrk, I have questions for you,
1. Is it mandatory to update Social Security office about Green card approval?
2. If yes, then what are the advantages.
3. What is the Procedure?

In my SS card, I don't have the seal ' Work with INS authorization only'. May by mistake SS office missed it put it. But I have seen this seal in my friends SS card.

Originally posted by 485atvermont
Thanks Jaic for your response.

gcrk, I have questions for you,
1. Is it mandatory to update Social Security office about Green card approval?
It is always good to keep your records updated.
2. If yes, then what are the advantages.
benefits like Food stamps etc. if you are eligible. I hope you don't need that
3. What is the Procedure?
Just go to the social security office and tell them that that you need to correct your card, as you now have I-551 stamp. They will give you a form to fill, and see your passport for I-551 stamp.
She will have you sign a paper and verify your address so that they can send you the card. You will receive your card in mail in 2 weeks. Alternatively, you can mail the form ss-5 (get it from http://www.ssa.gov).
The new card will not have the seal 'Work with INS authorization'

In my SS card, I don't have the seal ' Work with INS authorization only'. May by mistake SS office missed it put it. But I have seen this seal in my friends SS card.
Before several years they were not providng this seal. So it depends on when you got your card. I would apply to Social Security anyway to update my records

Last edited by a moderator:
Not true. The new ss card does not have the seal ' Work with INS authorization only' . I just received mine in mail last week.

Originally posted by gcrk
Regarding the SSN, It does not change. The SSN card will still say
' Work with INS authorization only' . That's what they told me
when I went to SSN office after my stamping for updating my status.

hi 485atvermont,
I asked the SSN official regarding benefits.
She told nothing changes. Its the same.

But I think you can appy for umemployment benefits as a GC holder. (Lets get some money back from these guys. They screwed us on H1-B on Social Security Tax)

At Arlington, VA, SSN officer requested my birth certificate and verified it with Passport.

It was also mentioned that the applicant should be bring proof of legal status, birth certificate. Not sure if it applies to all SSN office. You may want to call and check with yours.

Thanks to all of you for providing me much detailed information.

I will contact SS office and change my status. I will be comming to bench next week. May be at that time I may use SS benefits.

Thanks again