Travel to home country

LUD

Registered Users (C)
I am visiting my home country later this month.
There is a question on DS156 " Has anyone ever filed an Immigrant Visa petition on your behalf? Yes/No. If yes who?"
How should I answer this question? The reason I ask is because my petition is not yet approved and has not reached the immigration stage. Do they have the records of I140 in my home country? How does this affect my reentry in USA?
Any replies appreciated!

Q. DS156 " Has anyone ever filed an Immigrant Visa petition on your behalf? Yes/No. If yes who?"

A. If some one has filed I-140 petitions answer "Yes" otherwise answer "no".

"Filed" means "submitted" an application. It doesnt matter if it reached immigration stage.

They have all records using computer system.

It does not affect your re-entry in to USA. If you have H1b-visa then it has a dual (immigrant/non-immigrant) intent on the face of it. However, until you get immigrant visa is approved you should always say to imigration officer that you will go back to home country if H1b expires or job terminates.

Dont worry this is a very common process !

Thanks for your fast reply. I am worried that my H1 will not be stamped because of anecdotal examples of people getting stuck in home country. Any pearls in this regard/interview process appreciated!

I travelled India after my EB-2 I140 approval. No problem. In VISA office, they didn't even asked me anything. Say YES to DS 156 question if it is approved or in the process. Dont lie to any of their questions in the VISA office or in the DS 156 form. You will be fine. My wife also got VISA with me.
Best of Luck.

You will not have any problems whatsoever in getting h1b stamp. It is fairly routine process. Just keep all other documents pertaining to your employment like job offet letter, W2 for last 6 months, Utility bills, bank account statements, marriage certificates, affidavit of support etc in order and show them only if asked.