Travel Restriction on TN Renewal

SamuelKuang

I and a Canadian national and have valid TN status until April, 2007. My new employer filed petition to change employer by mail under premium processing and asked me not to depart the US while the petition is being filed.

Will my petition be deemed abandoned if I travel to the Canda on weekends before I receive the approval notice?

Thanks,
Samuel

Last edited by a moderator:
your petition will not be considered abandoned if you have an existing valid visa. if you have left your old employer, then by definition your current TN is no longer valid.

Thank you Gunt for replying. I am still on the payroll of the current employer by 10/13/2006. Should I depart the US regardless of the approval of the new TN is issued? Does it mean that my status is voided by then?

My attoney asked me not to travel when me petition is pending, where can I find the official evidence to convince him that there is no issue for me to travel to Canada and re-enter the US without affecting my pending petition?

Thanks,
Samuel

Last edited by a moderator:
it doesn't matter if you are on the payroll or not. the issue is if the USCIS border guard were to call the company and ask if you still work there, what the answer would be.

I appreciate the info, if possible, I want to know if there are official statements that I can go to Canada and reenter the US under my current status without affecting my pending petition.

Thanks,
Samuel