Travel outside the country between Interview and Oath

sidd_hyd

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I had my interview last wednesday (May 16th). Fairly straightforward for both me & my wife. We are waiting for our Oath letter. I might have to travel outside the country (to canada) on business on June 6th. My questions are:

1. If my oath is after June 6th can I still travel with my passport + GC?
2. If my oath is done before June 6th, can I travel with my certificate of Naturalization?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sidd

N-400 Timeline:
1. Sent the forms Feb 7th
2. Fingerprints on March 7th.
3. Interview May 16th.
4. Oath - ???

1. Yes, you are still a permanent resident up until you finish reciting the oath. You can travel up to the oath in the same way you always have. You will need to report in on the questionnaire on the back of the oath letter, and bring proof (passport stamps, boarding passes...) to the oath
  2. By car yes, by air, no. You can probably enter Canada with your US Natz Cert, but the US won't let you back in. Oddly enough, they will take a GC, but not a Natz Cert. The airline will likely not let you on the plane going to Canada without a passport. Go to the State Dept's http://travel.state.gov and look up the "passport agency" entry. If you live in the right city, and you have immediate travel scheduled, you can get a passport in a day or two.

...and if you don't live in the right city, there is always "A Rush Passport" service, which I recall was recently given a thumbs up by someone in a similar situation.

Thanks FlyDog and BoatBod for your replies. I guess I will just wait for the letter of oath to come. For now, I will plan on going out on June 6th. If my oath letter comes before that I will cancel it.

You're better off cancelling the trip then the oath ceremony. Some people have had to wait a long time to get it re-schedualed (others not), but do you want to take that chance?

Drive up to Canada. Or fly to Buffalo or Detroit and drive across with your GC and passport. Whatever you do , do not cancel your Oath ceremony. You can get another but its a shitty process

Actually, if you have taken the oath, you can probably get into and out of Canada on a US natz cert if you are driving. You'll need a passport if you fly.

I went to Canada two days after my oath last year. I entered on my Canadian passport, but returned with my natz cert (flying, before the new rules).

I am sorry guys for not being clear. When I said:

"If my oath letter comes before that I will cancel it."

I meant if my oath letter comes before that I will cancel my trip.

I appreciate the pain in rescheduling oath appointment. So it's easier to cancel the trip.

However the way things are looking I don't think my oath will be before June 6th. So I think I should be able to travel using my Indian Passport + GC. Right?