Travel on RTD (pre-GC) from LAX/JFK/ORD?

AsyleeTravel

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody,

I wanted to see what kind of experiences people have had flying out from LAX or JFK or ORD. Do the airline people even understand what a RTD means? I am assuming no US-Visit procedures, right, since I have no I-94? I am waiting on a pending I485 appl and traveling to Thailand.

Thanks!

AsyleeTravel said:
Hi everybody,

I wanted to see what kind of experiences people have had flying out from LAX or JFK or ORD. Do the airline people even understand what a RTD means? I am assuming no US-Visit procedures, right, since I have no I-94? I am waiting on a pending I485 appl and traveling to Thailand.

Thanks!

The airline people, even if they dont know what a RTD is, will be fine as long as you have the right visa (or documentaiton that shows you don't need a visa).

If they ask for the I-94, tell them you dont need one. If there is any trouble, ask to talk to the supervisor. Ironically, because of the threats, the airline people are now more familiar with RTD than they used to be 5 years ago.

AsyleeTravel said:
Hi everybody,

Thanks!

As floyd pointed out correctly, make sure you have visas for countries you want to visit. It has U.S DHS name on it and most of them know what DHS is..so you are ok.

Thanks for the responses, floyd and wantmygcnow ! I appreciate the help and just found this wonderful forum ..... hope to contribute here more often.

So you think if I tell the airline personnel about how I don't need an I-94 that will work?

Also, I am assuming the airline scans in my RTD into the BCIS database showing BCIS what date I left and where to and I hope they don't ask about no I-94 on my way back into the U.S. ?

Thanks for your help!

AsyleeTravel said:
Thanks for the responses, floyd and wantmygcnow ! I appreciate the help and just found this wonderful forum ..... hope to contribute here more often.

So you think if I tell the airline personnel about how I don't need an I-94 that will work?

Also, I am assuming the airline scans in my RTD into the BCIS database showing BCIS what date I left and where to and I hope they don't ask about no I-94 on my way back into the U.S. ?

Thanks for your help!

You should not worry about I-94 or anything. They have no clue about you needing an I-94. If soemone asks you about I-94, say "I am an asylee resident".

Hey Guys !!!!!!!!! Quick Question, How many times have you guys been out of the country in your status of an Asylee with an RTD ?

I have been out of the country 10 times for the last 3 years, and WE DO NEED to fill an I-94 every time you enter the US, unless you are a GC holder, so I dont understand what do you guys mean by not worrying about filling an I-94.

Thanks

Tuti1975 said:
Hey Guys !!!!!!!!! Quick Question, How many times have you guys been out of the country in your status of an Asylee with an RTD ?

I have been out of the country 10 times for the last 3 years, and WE DO NEED to fill an I-94 every time you enter the US, unless you are a GC holder, so I dont understand what do you guys mean by not worrying about filling an I-94.

Thanks

You've missunderstood the post.,it's not about inbound flights.They're talking about I-94 for outbound.

I haven't travelled with RTD yet but planning to. Does anyone has any idea how long maxium I can spend outside in one trip? Is there any limits of stay (length of stay) outside of USA using RTD? I know RTD is valid for 1 year. And, we have to optained visa in order to travel, Does it mean that I can spend whole one year outside of USA if I get visa for a year from my intend to travle country or it has some time limits? How often I can travel using same RTD within a year? Your advised would be greatly appriciated..!!!

nepz06 said:
I haven't travelled with RTD yet but planning to. Does anyone has any idea how long maxium I can spend outside in one trip? Is there any limits of stay (length of stay) outside of USA using RTD? I know RTD is valid for 1 year. And, we have to optained visa in order to travel, Does it mean that I can spend whole one year outside of USA if I get visa for a year from my intend to travle country or it has some time limits? How often I can travel using same RTD within a year? Your advised would be greatly appriciated..!!!

You may stay outside the USA as long as your RTD is valid.

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Still worried about the airline people ..... since they will be entering info into the BCIS database about my departure/scanning my RTD ...... how do I ensure they don't screw up anything? Also, any experiences about coming back to the POE and issues there? Thanks for sharing!

AsyleeTravel said:
Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Still worried about the airline people ..... since they will be entering info into the BCIS database about my departure/scanning my RTD ...... how do I ensure they don't screw up anything? Also, any experiences about coming back to the POE and issues there? Thanks for sharing!

Don't worry too much. All they do is just puting your info in a database. Usually they collect I-94 right at the gate of departure. An airline employee will ask if someone has any immigration paper to leave before the departure. Once I showed my RTD and he took my I-94 but if I didn't show it he would still let me in. It's not a check point. I'll tell you even more. Once I entered U.S. without filling out I-94 because of IO mistake, so pretty much I didn't have anything to give the next tome I was leaving overseas, except my original I-94, which I never take with me. But I didn't have any problems with that. In terms of bad/good IOs at the point of entry I don't think it relly depends on the airport as much as on the IO himself or herself. You can meet an asshole who would bitch with you just because it makes him pleasure or you can meet a friendly dude who will let you in without problems. Just keep in mind that in either case they cannot deny your entry for no reason. There should be a sufficient and I would say an extraordinary reason for them not to let you in.