• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Travel on H1 when CP date is given ?

abdulghaniz

Registered Users (C)
Hello

I have a valid H1 and my company wants to send me on a 4 week assignment. Please let me know if it is ok to travel considering that I have a DV interview in first week of July.

I am in India currently.

Hello

I have a valid H1 and my company wants to send me on a 4 week assignment. Please let me know if it is ok to travel considering that I have a DV interview in first week of July.

I am in India currently.
I think you will be fine as long as you can do CP on the sheduled interfview day
because H1B is allowed to have dual intention (non-immigrant and immigrant intention)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pretty similar situation. I'm in the US with an H1-B visa and my wife has won a number on the lottery. We would like to travel home for the christmas holidays for a month but our case number (EU...18xxx) most probably won't be current until next May-June-July.

There's no question on the I-94 form regarding if I ever applied for a permanent resident status and I already have the H1-B in my passport so I won't need to apply for a non immigrant visa this way question 36 will never be asked.

Do you think there's a chance that we will be denied entry on the border after coming back from the christmas vacation?

Here's a link to the I-94 form:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/i-94_instructions/filling_out_i94.xml

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT:

I screwed up paragraph two a bit. Just to make it clear:
- there's no question regarding if I ever applied for a permanent resident status on I-94.
- there's a question regarding it on DS-156, this was question 36. But since I already have H1-B in my passport I don't need a new B1/B2 so I don't have to submit DS-156.

I have a pretty similar situation. I'm in the US with an H1-B visa and my wife has won a number on the lottery. We would like to travel home for the christmas holidays for a month but our case number (EU...18xxx) most probably won't be current until next May-June-July.

There's no question on the I-94 form regarding if I ever applied for a permanent resident status and I already have the H1-B in my passport so I won't need to apply for a non immigrant visa this way question 36 will never be asked.

Do you think there's a chance that we will be denied entry on the border after coming back from the christmas vacation?

Here's a link to the I-94 form:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/i-94_instructions/filling_out_i94.xml

Thanks!
Hi tade256. I think you will be fine since H1B holders are allowed to have dual intentions. If you are asked a question regarding DV process at POE, you have to give honest answer. I understood what you meant to say. You don't need to worry about anything.:)

You can travel as much as you want as long as you have a valid H-1B visa. I was in the same situation as you this year - my wife was a DV2007 winner and we wanted to leave the US for three weeks while my application was still pending. At first I thought I would need to apply for a parole, but the parole application form I131 specifically says that H-1B holders do not need to do that. So I went just with my valid visa, got no problems during the return to the US whatsoever, and my GC was mailed to my one month after I came back.

starak